ThunDerianRoyalguard's collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by ThunDerianRoyalGuard, Aug 2, 2010.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks to both of you for sharing this knowledge! I don't have any artistic talent myself but really really enjoy drawing anyway. I remember reading an interview with a animation/comic artist (Bob Camp perhaps?) and him saying something to the effect of "If you are going into this business you better absolutely love it or you will soon hate it".

Wilycub and ThunDerianRoyalGuard like this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Having seen the drawings that you did of a certain original TC character, I strongly disagree with the above statement! :)
    Very true. Any art-related biz, be it comics, animation, designing, illustration, requires a LOT of drawing. So unless a person absolutely loves drawing, they are going to get worn out very quickly. And even those folks who love drawing often get pushed to their tolerance limit when they have to deal with picky clients (I've had my share of those!) :eek

I get people all the time asking me to teach them to draw. One guy, who hadn't drawn since kindergarten, said to me, "Can you teach me how to draw Scarlett Johansen realistically?" :confused:. That's like someone who doesn't know how to drive asking to be taught to win the Grand Prix! There's no "secret" to drawing or painting. There are a few tips on how to get started but even these are available all over the internet and in pretty much every art book. To get good at art, you just have to practice (same thing if you want to get to Carnegie Hall!;)). Every good artist does two things only: 1. Draw 2. Observe. When they're not doing one thing they're doing the other. And they do this every waking minute.

Mark M likes this.
  3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Your too kind Wilycub!

It is a shame that sometimes pursuing a passion as a career can take the fun out of it. I can only imagine the frustration that must occur with some clients! Art to me often seems like such a personal/intimate thing that having someone dictate every detail would be maddening.

I hope you don't mind but I think I will send you a PM about illustration as I feel bad clogging up TRGs thread with my nonsense haha

Wilycub likes this.
  4. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Yeah, you kids GET OFF MY LAWN!
    [​IMG]

Now, I've had this figure for a while, but was waiting for more info on it from the seller. She finally got back to me so I thought I'd post it here. According to the seller this Pumyra was a production error. The head was molded in the wrong colour. It isnt molded in a pinkish fleshtone but a slightly darker tone. They tried to "correct" this by fully painting the face in a light ochre. Also notice the mold sprue on the hair. I dont know if there are more examples out there, this is the only one I've seen.
    pumyravariant5_zps40abwcmk.jpg pumyravariant1_zpsq2c3akoy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
  5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That is very interesting! I must say you find the oddities haha.

I have heard of this painted head Pumyra somewhere before. Was it you who posted about it in the past? If not it may have been in a Facebook post. Either way I am happy to know the origin of this variant as I have always wondered why this was. It seems like there must be a run of these that were made. They wouldn't go through the effort of painting just a few production errors would they?

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That's a pretty cool figure of Pumyra.

7. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

I had this figure up in the LJN section of our Toy collecting pages for a while (with a lot of question marks) Maybe you saw it there? I removed it today and am working on a new sub-section for these oddities :)
    I have no clue, you're probably right. And I'm always looking for these strange figures so hopefully I (or one of you guys!) find more :)

adssse likes this.
  8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Oooooo, looking forward to that oddities section!

9. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Will be up this weekend :)

adssse likes this.
  10. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Got some exciting new stuff (I think) I sent my prototype Pumyra weapon to my friend Troy Parson of Troy Parson Studio and he made a mold of it and casted it in brown. I painted the ball red and voila! I got a bunch of em and I'm gonna paint the ball on another one blue and on yet another one yellow.

Troy will have these for sale in the near future, I'll be sure to give you guys a heads-up and post it in the TC Marketplace Thread!
    pumyraprototypeweaponrepro1_zpsnl2deese.jpg pumyraweapon1_zpsk9vp49a6.jpg
    I asked Troy for some other stuff I wanted for a while; Red staff for Cheetara, like the prototype:
    redcheetaraweapon1_zpsxcfc3pqs.jpg
    And a blue bo staff for my Unitoys Cheetara. Dont know if she came with this, but I thought it suit her. Fun fact: her right hand is almost molded shut so she cant hold on to anything :)
    unitoyscheetaraweapon1_zpsgfhnnwil.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
  11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Good stuff! I much prefer this version of Pumyra's weapon

12. Daremonger

Very magnificent. ^-^

13. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

This is something thats been eluding me for a long, long time. Now finally got a copy of the ThunDerCats Live! booklet. Not the biggest TC collectible in the world, but I'm very happy with to finally add it to my collection. Now the hunt is on for the ThunDerCats Live! press photos :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  14. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Very cool man :) don't see many of those around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very cool indeed! I would have totally liked this as a kid!

16. Daremonger

ThunderCats Live! happened 30 years ago while ThunderCats was still on the air. :)

17. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Finally...
    [​IMG]
    :)

Also got this great vintageThunderCats sweater from Sears!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    shortfuse, Mark M, adssse and 4 others like this.
  18. SnarfofOmens

SnarfofOmens Berbill

That sweater is amazing! Wish they did it in my size!
    Was desperate for the Christmas jumper that was out a couple of years back but i missed out :(

19. Daremonger

Super-cool!

20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very nice additions! I actually had my eye on that sweatshirt but decided I better save my money. Glad it went to a good home!