ThunDerianRoyalguard's collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by thunderianroyalguard, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Very nice catch TRG!! :thumbsup

That is generally how animation was done in the 2D days. First the main animator (or key animator) would do the rough drawings of the scene, maybe polish them up a bit. Then these would go to his/her assistant or the clean-up artists who would carefully trace over the image and produce a clean final drawing which would then go on to be Xeroxed onto clear acetate sheet (or cel as we commonly call them) and then colored on the back and finally photographed by the camera to make one frame of the cartoon. Tough work! :00

Sometimes they would do only partial drawings of a character, like their mouth or head only when the character is talking but the rest of his/her body is not moving. No point in re-drawing the entire body when it is static. Wastes time and art supplies! ;) I think that Slithe face drawing might be one of those.

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Wow, that's fascinating stuff Wilycub! I never realized that several artists took part in just producing the line art before coloring. The old 2D animation was the best and truly a work of art!

3. Wilycub

Glad you are interested in this topic, adssse. I did dabble quite a bit in hand-drawn animation so I know plenty about what goes on behind the scenes. :)

Making hand-drawn cartoons is a VERY time-consuming and labor intensive job. Just creating a 5 minute scene can take months. That's why big animation companies like Disney usually had 300-400 artists working for around 2 years just to produce one animated feature film.

After the story is written, it is up to the main/supervising animators (SA) to come up with designs for the characters (each character is usually assigned to a different animator). After the designs are approved, the SA draws the model sheets of the character form different angles, different mouth shapes, different poses etc. Then the SA does the main drawings of the main poses (key poses). Then come the in-betweener, who does the numerous drawings that go between the key poses done by the SA. Then come the clean-up artists who trace all these drawings neatly and clean up rough lines and missing details. Then they are Xeroxed onto cels, but in the old days the inkers would carefully trace the cleaned up drawings onto cels by hand. Then they go go the colorists.

And of course there are the background artists who draw all the background paintings, the special effect artists who do stuff like glows and sprinkles and sparkles, and the storyboard artists who take the entire script and put it into a sort of simple comic form.

A film runs at 24 frames per second and animated cartoons usually use two frames of the same drawing for each exposure so even then they require 12 different drawings for each second of what you see on screen. Now calculate the number of drawings in a 100 min feature film! :00

So studios with small budgets and small workforce utilize "tactics" like re-using animation ("He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"), keeping very little movement ("The Flintstones"), or doing only 6 or less drawings per second (so we get very choppy animation like Gene Deitch's "Tom & Jerry Cartoons").

I could go on and on on this topic but I am already feeling bad for hijacking TRG's thread. Sorry buddy! :( I'll shut up now.

4. thunderianroyalguard

thunderianroyalguard Manager - Toy Section TC.org Staff

Hahahaha! No, please, I'm as interested as adssse! BTW do you know the reason why almost all Hanna Barbera characters, like Yogi Bear and Top Cat, have shirt collars? They did that so that when they would only animate the heads (to save costs) they could hide the "seem" behind the collar. :)

adssse and Wilycub like this.
  5. Wilycub

I actually didn't know that! Thanks for sharing that bit of trivia. :thumbsup Hanna Barbera really were masters when it came to keeping costs to a minimum. They employed many "Limited Animation" techniques. It's a good thing ThunderCats wasn't animated in the U.S.A or its animation might have been drastically different than what it is. :)

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thanks to both of you for sharing this knowledge! I don't have any artistic talent myself but really really enjoy drawing anyway. I remember reading an interview with a animation/comic artist (Bob Camp perhaps?) and him saying something to the effect of "If you are going into this business you better absolutely love it or you will soon hate it".

Wilycub and thunderianroyalguard like this.
  7. Wilycub

Having seen the drawings that you did of a certain original TC character, I strongly disagree with the above statement! :)
    Very true. Any art-related biz, be it comics, animation, designing, illustration, requires a LOT of drawing. So unless a person absolutely loves drawing, they are going to get worn out very quickly. And even those folks who love drawing often get pushed to their tolerance limit when they have to deal with picky clients (I've had my share of those!) :eek

I get people all the time asking me to teach them to draw. One guy, who hadn't drawn since kindergarten, said to me, "Can you teach me how to draw Scarlett Johansen realistically?" :confused:. That's like someone who doesn't know how to drive asking to be taught to win the Grand Prix! There's no "secret" to drawing or painting. There are a few tips on how to get started but even these are available all over the internet and in pretty much every art book. To get good at art, you just have to practice (same thing if you want to get to Carnegie Hall!;)). Every good artist does two things only: 1. Draw 2. Observe. When they're not doing one thing they're doing the other. And they do this every waking minute.

Mark M likes this.
  8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Your too kind Wilycub!

It is a shame that sometimes pursuing a passion as a career can take the fun out of it. I can only imagine the frustration that must occur with some clients! Art to me often seems like such a personal/intimate thing that having someone dictate every detail would be maddening.

I hope you don't mind but I think I will send you a PM about illustration as I feel bad clogging up TRGs thread with my nonsense haha

Wilycub likes this.
  9. thunderianroyalguard

Yeah, you kids GET OFF MY LAWN!
    [​IMG]

Now, I've had this figure for a while, but was waiting for more info on it from the seller. She finally got back to me so I thought I'd post it here. According to the seller this Pumyra was a production error. The head was molded in the wrong colour. It isnt molded in a pinkish fleshtone but a slightly darker tone. They tried to "correct" this by fully painting the face in a light ochre. Also notice the mold sprue on the hair. I dont know if there are more examples out there, this is the only one I've seen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That is very interesting! I must say you find the oddities haha.

I have heard of this painted head Pumyra somewhere before. Was it you who posted about it in the past? If not it may have been in a Facebook post. Either way I am happy to know the origin of this variant as I have always wondered why this was. It seems like there must be a run of these that were made. They wouldn't go through the effort of painting just a few production errors would they?

thunderianroyalguard likes this.
  11. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That's a pretty cool figure of Pumyra.

12. thunderianroyalguard

I had this figure up in the LJN section of our Toy collecting pages for a while (with a lot of question marks) Maybe you saw it there? I removed it today and am working on a new sub-section for these oddities :)
    I have no clue, you're probably right. And I'm always looking for these strange figures so hopefully I (or one of you guys!) find more :)

adssse likes this.
  13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Oooooo, looking forward to that oddities section!

14. thunderianroyalguard

Will be up this weekend :)

adssse likes this.
  15. thunderianroyalguard

Got some exciting new stuff (I think) I sent my prototype Pumyra weapon to my friend Troy Parson of Troy Parson Studio and he made a mold of it and casted it in brown. I painted the ball red and voila! I got a bunch of em and I'm gonna paint the ball on another one blue and on yet another one yellow.

Troy will have these for sale in the near future, I'll be sure to give you guys a heads-up and post it in the TC Marketplace Thread!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I asked Troy for some other stuff I wanted for a while; Red staff for Cheetara, like the prototype:
    [​IMG]
    And a blue bo staff for my Unitoys Cheetara. Dont know if she came with this, but I thought it suit her. Fun fact: her right hand is almost molded shut so she cant hold on to anything :)
    [​IMG]

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Good stuff! I much prefer this version of Pumyra's weapon

17. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Very magnificent. ^-^

18. thunderianroyalguard

This is something thats been eluding me for a long, long time. Now finally got a copy of the ThunDerCats Live! booklet. Not the biggest TC collectible in the world, but I'm very happy with to finally add it to my collection. Now the hunt is on for the ThunDerCats Live! press photos :)

[​IMG]

19. machew1031

machew1031 Junior Member

Very cool man :) don't see many of those around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very cool indeed! I would have totally liked this as a kid!