Thunderkittens Arrival Thread

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Gerrit, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Just a funny little anecdote pertaining to the kittens. My granny of 88 just came to visit me for a few weeks. She loves ThunderCats (would you believe she's seen the entire series a few times plus the 2011 version as well!) She used to watch it with my nephew. I lent her the DVDs and I even gave my nephew a vintage Panthro and Lion-O to play with. Anyway - she knows my collection very well, and when she walked into my house yesterday, she saw the new kittens and immediately picked up that they were new. She noticed the display stand (from the packaging) and said how nice these figures looked and how "cool" they are! It was really sweet. :wilykit:wilykat

2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Even then I think it would look off, Mumm-Ra is just too small next to the 8 inch figures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Your custom painted Lion-O in beautiful! So what have we learned from this; that the BanDai line doesnt fit with the IH Staction or that the adult Mattel ThunderCats will probably look nice with the IH Mumm-Ra? I guess we need a picture of the Kittens standing on a flat surface, next to a vintage Lion-O, a Bandai Lion-O and/or a IH Mumm-Ra... :)

4. Booshman

The point was to see if the IH Mumm-Ra would fit in with the new Matty Lion-O. Since that's not available yet I thought I'd use the versions I have to see how the scale fits. I guess the Matty figure won't be much bigger than the 6" Bandai version? I don't have any MOTUC figures so I'm not sure how big they go. THey appear to have bigger heads than the Bandai 6" and look a bit more robust, so scale wise it could fit with this Mumm-Ra pretty well. I'll be intersted how the kittens look next to the new Lion-O. I think they may end up being more in scale with the 8" Bandai.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I must say in my opinion the vintage LJN and the Bandai 6" and 8" both look nicer than the Mattel version. I really wish Bandai had done Cheetara, Panthro and Mumm-Ra in the 8" or 6" scale.

adssse likes this.
  6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

This! I really wanted these figures badly!

Mark M likes this.
  7. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

There was a 6" Mumm-Ra. Would have been better had he been 8" though as I am not a fan of the 6" Lion-O particularly because of his face.

Mark M likes this.
  8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes, 8" would have been preferable

Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's a shame they didn't keep the same face as the 8'' version.
    The 8'' figures could have been amazing. If only Bandai had colour corrected the joints and made the weapons of a stronger plastic.

10. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

The MOTUC figures are around 7" tall so the Mattel Lion-O might indeed be in scale with the Mumm-Ra staction :) I'll see about taking a picture of my Ljn Lion-O with a male MOTUC.

11. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

and had better sculpts and paint apps! lol.

Looking back now the Bandai toys were a disaster from the get go. I will admit though that their role play Sword of Omens was great, but the rest I only keep because they are 'ThunderCats'.

12. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

The Bandai toys weren't bad looks-wise to me. They just feel kind of hollow, like they were made of a cheaper plastic. Once my Mattel Lion-O comes in, I may sell off my 6" Bandai. That way I have 1 LJN, the 8" Bandai, and the Mattel. 1 from each company suits me fine.

One thing I am curious about is the mummy Mumm-Ra that will ship with Pumyra. I hope he is shorter than the 6" Bandai Mumm-Ra. Otherwise it would be silly to have a taller, frail mummy that turns into his shorter muscular hulk form. If that happens, I may say goodbye to the Bandai Mumm-Ra. I will know come end of November.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Indeed, but unlike Mattel at least they made a buck with the correct body proportions for the character. I can excuse lack of detail if the overall look is correct.
    Speaking as an artist, if the body proportions are wrong, no amount of extra paint and detail will correct that.

The 2011 cartoon was a bit of a disaster so it's no surprise the toyline wasn't very successful.

adssse likes this.
  14. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I may then be in the minority but I really like the Bandai figures. The scale drama really is a bit annoying, but I decided not to worry about getting a 6" Lion-O, just the Mumm-Ra. The other 3 8" figures more than make up for the gang (as you can see in my pf pic). I think they look well with the kittens. If we never get the rest of the Cats from Mattel, I'll be happy to add these to the "gang" and have some customs made to complete the lineup. Anybody have Booshman on speeddail? :D

15. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I completely agree! Only gripe I have is with the face paint on a majority of the Tygra figures; they are painted using the masking/stamping process and a lot of them arent aligned with the sculpt. :(

Sebastiaan, Mark M and adssse like this.
  16. Booshman

I really like the 8 inch figs. They are really solid and look like the cartoon. The 6 inch ones aren't as good. Mumm-Ra is OK, but he has a bit of a pin head. Lion-O is the worst, the angry sculpt is crap, and the figure feels much more flimsy than his larger counterpart.

Mark M likes this.
  17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Count me as another fan of the Bandai Thundercats Classics! I can't wait to compare them in hand with the Mattel versions!

Mark M likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really liked the 8" Lion-O and even with it's faults I thought it was a really great fun toy to pose and play with. :D
    As for the 2011 toys...the 4" were hindered with a silly gimmick, but the 6" figures were really good. Bandai did produce fully unique cartoon accurate sculpts for each figure after all and didn't just toll them on existing bucks.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Agreed. The Thunderlynx functionality was never really utilized well. The 4" line I actually like for the affordability and the variety of characters produced. Seeing what was upcoming it's a real shame it didn't continue.

Sebastiaan, Mark M and jabus like this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Quite frankly it shows how much faith Bandai had in the toy line. They really invested a lot in the line with unique sculpts and lots of articulation and launched a Classics line at retail to coincide with the 2011 toy line. They didn't confine them to a small fan base only available online.

adssse and Sebastiaan like this.