To grade or not to grade

Discussion in 'Comics (1985-2018)' started by William Graves, Oct 31, 2016.

1. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

Like the title states...since I have an almost complete thundercats comic collection as some of you know (complete star comics to wildstorm mini series , one shots and all crossover comics and variant sets). Should I grade or not and which ones......

What's your opinions?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

As far comics, I dont really know enough about them, but with toys, I dont see the point. To spend $75 + to entomb a toy in plastic is just weird to me.

William Graves likes this.
  3. William Graves

I dont think I'll ever grade my figures. As for comics I recently sent my first 4 off to get graded just because they were the filmation Ghostbusters comic set 1-4 signed by penciler Howard Bender, who penciled all 4 and he also drew the characters in the back of the 1st issue. Which had a spot for drawing each character. I took pictures of them before sending them off so I can look at them if I wanted to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

In a case like that, sure. you are preserving history. I'm sure some people feel that way with toys. but just standard issue toys MIB or loose, I dont get it. I mean yeah, a MOC Driller or something is valuable. but currently is also replaceable. Now if it were a mold, or prototype, that I would probably get graded.

5. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

I have a large collection of graded MOC figures and I personally love them. I think the protective case looks sleek, I love the fact that my figures are protected from additional wear and tear (for the most part) and to me, I'm doing my part in keeping our childhood memories preserved (I can recall walking into Toys R Us as a 3-5 year old and seeing these figures hanging on the pegs).

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm a big believer that if you have a MOC Thundercat figure whose packaging is in great shape; you should at least consider getting it graded. When I used to buy figures, it brought me a sense of security that I was buying a figure whose package was in excellent shape (I consider everything AFA 80 and above to be in great shape, considering it's been 30 years).

6. William Graves

If I can ever get moc on good deals I'll probably get graded. I guess it depends on the prices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk