Toy Fair 2017 and S7 / TC

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

It's on the horizon and hopefully, it's coming at us with some news of the future of ThunderCats and Super 7. What are your hopes for this event? Obviously S7 will be showcasing the Filmation figures in their upcoming line up, and the Power-Con figure too as I understood it. Do you think S7 will have anything to say at Toy Fair about TC though?
    If they respond with "We're still discussing it" do you think its something they're passionately attempting and the licencing is just taking longer than expected, or is it because they've not yet finished with whatever final proposals are required by WB? I do believe though that if they make this announcement, that there is still hope. I doubt they'll be putting the effort in to gain the licence (from July last year I might add) just to give up on it now. So this might mean either things are still in limbo or at least having some momentum. Will they then at least give us an idea of when they'll know? Go figure - SDCC sounds like a good place to make an official statement to confirm they've got it.
    I highly doubt there will be any figures available to showcase if the licence isn't theirs. I am also not sure if they'll want their new Filmation reveals to be "overshadowed" by TC news. SDCC at this stage sounds like a good place to relaunch TC.
    On the other hand, they may respond with "sorry we couldn't get the licence". But I still have hope.
    What are your thoughts about what we may see / hear this weekend? Who's calling it?!

2. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I am really hoping they can announce it at Toy Fair. Then they can show more stuff off at SDCC. I do expect the topic to at least be addressed. If they don't have it, hopefully they could give us a timetable on when to expect a yea or nea. I really want to see the line continue, but I don't need my hopes dragged out for nothing. So I hope they can say something beyond what they've said so far.

3. Sebastiaan

Quite right, this has been dragging on since July last year when the kittens were released. It's horrible to not know. At least everything always sounds positive. Here's hoping!

4. Ianm1225

Ianm1225 Moleman

I would LOVE to hear that they are picking up the license at Toy Fair, but I'm honestly not expecting much more news until SDCC. I hope they prove me wrong!!

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be cool if Super 7 announced they got the licence to do Thundercats.
    Although I am far more excited to see the stuff various other companies will be showing.
    Hasbro's Transformers (especially Trypticon!), Marvel Legends. The possible reveal of M.A.S.K. and some news on G.I. Joe.
    DC Collectibles' DC Icons and Animated (Justice League) figures.
    NECA make incredible figures. I would love to see them do some Ultimate Conan figures. :D :rolleyes
    Playmates' TMNT and Voltron toys.
    Bandai's Power Rangers. Really hoping they show a Legacy Shogun Megazord.
    Mattel's WWE.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Speaking of Super 7 and the Thundercats licence I noticed this on a toy website. The majority of people who voted in the poll said they would not subscribe if Super 7 did Thundercats figures the same as the Mattel figures.
    upload_2017-2-15_17-31-55.png

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Hmmmm, I would be interested in why people voted in the manner they did. Is it more about the style, subscription method or the Thundercats franchise? I would obviously be all in if they are able to get the license.

8. Chase W

Chase W Junior Member

WTF! Why would people Vote no!!!! Another vote not going my way :( I just voted Yes obvi but come on people. Vote Yes
    http://toynewsi.com/

Sebastiaan likes this.
  9. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

Yeah, that's not the right approach. I get the issues, but these figures are clearly good figures at the end of the day. I think we can worry about details after they get the license, which we really want to show them we want. This poll currently does the opposite. Unwise, especially considering I know from practice most of those same people would indeed buy the figures in the same style as Mattel. Now is not the time to be idealistic. I voted yes! I will be happy to have good ThunderCats figures!

Sebastiaan likes this.
  10. Sebastiaan

How shocking!!! I also voted yes. And put it out there on FB that folk should go and vote. It's clear that the fans of this line do not know about this poll. VOTE YES! :D

Chase W likes this.
  11. luketommo2

luketommo2 Vortex Explorer

Let's be honest...
    This poll is showing that people didnt like the Mattel design and packaging however if Super 7 design them like the 80s toys with the LJN packaging it will be a success.

12. Sebastiaan

I must be in the minority then, but it's quite ironic how folks raved about it when it was first announced, praised the line and in the end turn their backs on it. All my friends however who collected these figures want it to continue. There are only a few on this forum that's in the minority (or have raised their opinions on it) that don't want it to continue, which I of course respect.

What I was just however made aware of again, is that the poll says would people subscribe if S7 continued the line. Not would they want the line to be continued, but would they sub if it does continue. Since there is no official word on how the subscription model would work, I guess it's obvious many didn't approve of Matty's sub. And simply won't subscribe but rather just buy the figures in a manner that does not include subbing. It's perhaps a bit vague. So to comment on your response, it's perhaps not a question of people not liking the design and packaging, but rather the subscription model or the way to get their hands on it. Either way, I guess it could be read whichever way one wants to interpret it.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I found the poll interesting but I also find the wording of the question a bit confusing. It's hard to know if they mean the style/design of the figures or the subscription method to obtain the figures.

14. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I was about to post the exact same thing. The question should have been would you buy ThunderCats figures made by Super7? Some people aren't fans of the design (the poor execution of Pumyra didn't help) while some don't like the subscription model and some aren't fans of the packaging. This survey achieves absolutely nothing and just gives the impression nobody wants ThunderCats action figures at all. Typical behaviour from TNI (same site who loved mentioning the line was over at every opportunity)

I hope folks see past this.

Mark M likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree the question should be ''Would you buy Thundercats made by Super 7?''
    The poor execution of Pumyra and to the same extent Lion-O didn't help.
    Regardless of the survey we all know people do want Thundercats figures. Although I think it's safe to say people want figures made better than what has been done by Bandai and Mattel.
    I like TNI, but some of their reviewers just review products with no real investment in the property they are reviewing. The constant mentioning of the end of the line in all the Thundercats reviews was a bit annoying. Although I don't think mentioning the line was ending did as much damage as Mattel announcing it at SDCC before the first subscription figure was released.

16. Serval

Serval Crabman

As long as 4H are somehow involved in the loop.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The 4 Horsemen are good sculptors but their involvement for any line to succeed isn't necessary. There are lots of other sculptors just as talented as 4H. All that matters is that the Thundercats get good accurate sculpts and the factories producing them don't mess them up like Mattel's Thundercats.

Serval likes this.
  18. jabus

jabus Laser Beast

adssse and Mark M like this.
  19. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Their response is favorable. "Close to being finalized" sounds more definite than any previous statement they've given on it. July will be here before you know it. ;)

Mark M likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Super 7's MOTU products look great! :D Looks like they have invested in some new parts...mainly a thinner torso/chest so the figure won't look too bulky.
    The Filmation vintage style figures sound really interesting. I hope there is some on show over the weekend. :D
    upload_2017-2-18_17-46-12.png

Wilycub likes this.