Transformers 5 synopsis out :Villain revealed (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Wilycub, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Spoilers? I'm not a fan of these films and won't be going to see it, but I may catch it at some point down the line. For those invested in this franchise, you might want to edit your title just in case.

3. Wilycub

The thought did cross my mind, but how can it be a spoiler when it is an "official synopsis" released all over the web by Paramount themselves? It's not info posted by someone who saw the leaked script or heard it from insiders. This is the official synopsis of the movie. So I guess the filmmakers want people to know this (and hope it will attract more viewers). :)

I am guessing that this isn't the "big reveal" of the film. There's probably some other twist in the plot.

4. Booshman

I dunno, I try to avoid everything past teaser trailers, since they give so much away with the later ones. I would have gone with: "Transformers 5 synopsis out :Villain revealed", or something to that effect. Even if they give it all away in the trailer, which I'm sure they will, people can at least be surprised with the revelation when they see it.

5. Wilycub

Fine. I have changed the title.

6. Booshman

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Interesting. So the main villain will basically be Nemesis Prime (who has also been known as Nemesis Convoy and Scourge). Not a big fan of the movies but it will be interesting to see Nemesis on the big screen.
    Same with Unicron. I wonder if he will get more screen time than Galactus in the Fantastic Four movie.

8. Wilycub

I have completely lost interest in this movie series. I enjoyed the first one very much. The second was a total mess, crammed too many things into one movie. The third one was a bit better than the second, but it just felt like it was recycling stuff from the previous movies. I could only bear to watch 15-20 minutes of the fourth one.

See for me, it is not the robots that I am really interested in (a lot of them look the same to me! :laugh), but rather the humans. Yes, the movies are called "Transformers" and yes the focus should be more on the robots, but I can't identify with the robots. It is the human characters that I try to connect with. And if I don't feel that connection, then the movie is just like a video game where robots are blowing each other up. :biggrin

Despite not being a fan of Shia Labeouf or Megan Fox, I enjoyed their characters in the first three movies, as well as the supporting characters (Agent Simmons, Sam's parents, the soldiers etc). I didn't like any of the characters in the fourth movie. So no matter which robot they introduce in the fifth movie, I'm not gonna watch it simply because I can't stand the new human characters.

Mark M likes this.
  9. Roybot

Roybot New Member

I'm with you Wilycub. I actually really liked the first one. But they have progressively gotten worse in my opinion. The last one was a hot mess. And turning Grimlock into a dumb horse for Optimus to ride is unforgivable. This will be the first one I skip in the theater.

Wilycub likes this.
  10. Wilycub

Glad you share my feelings, Roybot. :) I think the problem is that the makers of these films aren't fully versed with the Transformers mythos. They just pick "cool" robots and try to cram them into the movies without actually fully understanding the characters.

Maybe it's time this franchise was rebooted, or the reins handed to someone other than Michael Bay, who for the umpteenth time has again said that this will be his last Transformers movie. He has been saying that since the third one! :biggrin

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The scripts for all of the movies are terrible. Yes the first is the best but it still isn't great.
    The reason you cannot identify with the robots is because they are so awfully written, depicted and to a lesser extent designed.
    They have so little character and merely just on screen for the sake of it.
    A really big problem is the robot designs. Granted they had to look somewhat alien instead of very boxy/cartoony looking...I can understand that to an extent. But the designs are all so bland and similar. They are all just pretty much messes of pieces of metal.
    Aside from Optimus Prime being red and blue and changing into a truck there is very little else to make the characters identifiable to the iconic characters from the cartoon and comics. They literally just put a characters name to a robot regardless of transformation mode or (lack of lol) personality.

In the first movie instead of having so much time devoted to Sam etc and having the Transformers on screen for only a short amount of time and being so characterless, they should have introduced them coming to earth properly at the start of the movie instead of all that time being wasted with the cube, Sam at school and just getting a car then things being explained later on.

I think you will find Bay said that after the second film...maybe even the first one lol. To Bay's credit...the movies have been financially successful. I am not a fan of his films but I suppose at least we don't have Christopher Nolan or Zack Snyder directing Transformers LOL. ;)
    The Transformers franchise definitely needs to get rebooted.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Wilycub likes this.
  12. Wilycub

I think you have hit the nail on the head, my friend. :) Very true, the robots hardly had any character development. Yes, everybody felt the initial awe when we saw them on the screen, but then after a short while that amazement fades away. Their design was too complicated and for the case of the Decepticons, not distinctive enough. Pretty much every robot looks the same, a lot of silver pieces stuck together. I am guessing that's why the focus of the movies was so much on Sam, because they didn't know what t o do with the robots when they are not fighting each other. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, I think a lot of the gross for these films comes from foreign countries (China, Japan) who love the visuals and don't really care about the story. That is why a movie like "Warcraft" can earn in excess of 400 million dollars. Almost 90% of that is foreign gross. Same with "Avatar", out of its 2.7 billion gross, 2 billion is from the foreign markets. :)

Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's why they should have give them less complex designs. More scenes with them talking about the war/cube and why the were going to earth would really have helped the audience connect with the robots more. Maybe if the robots had been less alien and more boxy looking like the cartoon and robots it would have helped the audience connect with them more. In some ways the live action Transformers designs remind me a bit of the Predator and Alien designs from the various movies. I know some people can identify them but I find them way to similar to each other and not very distinctive.

How can we forget the China and foreign film markets. Why it was that reason alone Ghostbusters 2016 was such a critical and financial failure. Why if it had been released in China I am sure it would have done sooooooooooooo much better. ;)
    Don't forget though there is a huge fan base for Transformers (and robots in general) in Japan as that is where the toys originated from.

Considering how much Michael Bay loves his movies to be full of sports cars, car chases and explosions surely has to be the first choice to direct a live action M.A.S.K. movie. :D

14. Booshman

I can confirm Chinese audiences have a very low bar when it comes to character and story in Western bug budged movies. The only time they stop talking or messing with their phones in the cinema, is when the 'splosions is happening, or they throw in a know Chinese celebrity for a cameo.

I too would love a reboot of TF. Focused on the robots, who look different enough from each other I can tell them apart. Humans should be the side characters.

Wilycub likes this.