Trivial things I have noticed in the reboot

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by srebak, Apr 29, 2016.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Just some stuff I've noticed in this show

1. Cheetara and Panthro are the only members of the main cast who wear Symetrical clothing. Everyone else in the group wears asymmetrical clothes.

2. Cheetara is the only Cat within the group who didn't have curved markings on her cheeks. Even Pumyra had them.

3. Aside from a few others, all of the Cats in this show looked much less humanoid than the Thundercats themselves.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Very interesting points.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes, I noticed these as well.

The symmetrical aspect doesn't bother me a whole lot although in most cases I do prefer symmetry. One thing that does bug me is the curved markings on the cheeks (almost mentioned this the other day in the episode thread). For the most part I enjoyed many of the redesigns, but think they look much better without those markings.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Srebak just wondering why you didn't bring this up on the 're-watching episode 1 and 2 thread' and joined in the discussion there.

5. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

This didn't seem relevant to that discussion.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It is. We are discussing all aspects of the show that other people notice.

7. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

I just noticed something else rather trivial:

In the NS, Lion-O, Panthro and Wily-Kat were all given redesigns that added a bit more...modesty to their outfits, but, for Cheetara and Wily-Kit, it was the exact opposite.

In the original show, Cheetara wore an outfit that covered most of her body and was simply form-fitting. In the reboot, however; she wears short shorts, leggings of some kind and a shirt that not only has no sleeves, but also exposes her midriff.

In the original show, Wily-kit wore only a simple dress that left her arms and legs exposed, along with part of her shoulder, but, in the reboot; she wears a two-piece that consists of a small top that only has one sleeve one the right side and leaves the left side considerably exposed, and a rather revealing skirt that barely covers much at all (enough is covered, though, thank goodness). What's more, Cheetara and Wily-kit are aged down a bit in the reboot, you see where i'm going with this?

8. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I see exactly where you're going with this. And I fear it is typical of the media's sexualising of any and all female characters possible. When I bought the original DVDs, there was a bit in the bonus features about the original Cheetara being a sex symbol. Granted, her attire looked like beachwear, but she was still a strong character in her own right. With this one, it's like they're skimping on her outfit to get her noticed.

As for the age thing, that applies to the male characters too - Lion-O is a shade younger here (hard to tell I know, but he is), Tygra is definitely younger, and Wilykat is about the same age Wilykit, as he was in the original. That age is just a little younger this time round for both of them.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In regards to Cheeetara's design and more revealing clothing, it was based on an anime look.

10. Lion-O-hearted

Lion-O-hearted Junior Member

It surprising Cheetara is the only one without the markings. A cheetah’s facial markings might be the most prominent out of all of the cat species.

As for the asymmetry, I did not mind it for the most part. I just wished it was more restrained. I did highlight the following cases:

The Worst

I did not hate these two examples, but felt they should have been re-worked the most.

Claudus
    [​IMG]
    Even though he is wearing a brace only on his right arm because he had to wear the Gauntlet on his left, it looked weird when the Gauntlet was off.

Tygra’s prince costume
    [​IMG]
    What I did not like about it here is that he only wears one sleeve and armband. It would be better if it was on both arms or his arms were bare.

The Best

The reason I like these two is because the asymmetry seems purposeful.
    Lion-O
    [​IMG]
    Lion-O’s look resembles that of a baseball catcher. Some baseball catchers wear a chest pad that covers only one shoulder, usually the shoulder that is on the opposite side of the catching mitt.
    Tygra
    [​IMG]
    Tygra’s sleeve looks similar to the ones that basketball players wear.
    Maybe it was the artists’ way of showing that these characters are athletic.

11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I have to agree about the asymmetry. Some are glaring than others. Kaynars shoulder spike is the one that bothered me the most.
    [​IMG]

Wilycub likes this.
  12. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

It is weird that so many characters have asymmetrical costumes.
    I like Cheetara's design though it is a shame that even Pumyra got more character development then her.

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I really liked the whole cleric angle they started out with for her. I didn't so much like the love triangle aspect.

14. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

It is shame we never got far enough to see her develop her psychic abilities.
    Anyone else found it weird that Kit and Kat's hair and ears are one and the same?

adssse likes this.
  15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes the ear thing was always strange