Tygra face repaint

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Nelson, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

I was unhappy with the way Classics Tygra looked so I decided to repaint it.

Changes made:
    - Got rid of the eyelashes
    - Changed the eyebrows' shape
    - Repainted black vertical lines under the eyes
    - Got rid of the orange paint in the nostrils
    - Widened orange stripe in the forehead
    - Reshaped the orange stripe of the nose
    - Added more orange near the chin.

Take a look:

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it looks a bit more cartoon-accurate:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Chrisuyver

Chrisuyver Junior Member

Good job I like it

3. Thunderandreams

Thunderandreams Active Member

Very good! It looks better :D

4. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

Lol, That toy makes him look as if he belongs in a circus...

5. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Thanks for the replies!

6. robby

robby Junior Member

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!! ROBBY:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

How were you able to match the paint?

I love your painted version, I would buy that. I saw the new version of the OS Tygra in the store and he scared me, so I didn't get him. Your paint job is much better and I would have bought him if he looked like that.

8. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Great paint job dude! Look at the bright side, Bandai America will improve all of their future figures with tips from Bandai Japan!

9. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

That looks much more like Tygra should. I always wondered why it was so hard to make a certain character look cartoon accurate for companies. It always seems to be the fans that manage to capture the essence. Anyway awesome job!

10. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

That does look way more show accurate. Kudos. I'm always afraid to try doing stuff like that with my own figures, because I'm scared of messing them up. lol

11. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

Thanks again, guys!

To get that tone of orange I mixed two paints: Formula P3 Heartfire with a bit (just a bit) of Formula P3 Khador Red Base.

The "cream" color that I used is not really an exact match. I think I needed to add a bit of blue or green to the mix... in any case, I mixed Formula P3 Menoth White Highlight with the previously mentioned Formula P3 Heartfire.

For the eyebrows I used a black Gundam Marker (which is awesome, I highly recommend it! It works wonders to repair older figures like a Super Powers Superman that had lost a bit of paint in his hair)

12. balgus82

What kinda paint do you use for his face? acrylic? I might want to try to modify my own Tygra figure when I get it. And I'll look for Gundam markers too not only to fix Tygra, but to outline the 6" Lion-O's eyes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  13. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

It's an acrylic paint made specifically to paint miniatures for those table games... I don't know what are those games called, heh. Look for them in modelling stores instead of normal arts & crafts stores.

I MUST say this: each of these mini-bottles cost around 4 dollars... just after I bought them I went to a different store that also carried paints for models, and those were 2 dollars each. They were a different brand though and I can't vouch for their quality. I would shop around if I were you. Oh, and take your Tygra figure with you when shopping so you don't rely on your memory alone.

The upside of buying the exact same paints that I used is that you'll get an orange tone that is 100% equal to that of the figure.

14. balgus82

Thanks for the tips. And like I said I also think a gundam marker would be perfect to correct the 6" Lion-O's face. The one problem people have with that figure is lack of face detail. Might have to find a red one to redo his eyebrows too. lol

15. kastorskorner

kastorskorner New Member

smaller details look much cleaner. little tweaks really help some figures

16. Jackalman

Jackalman New Member

Great job, Nelson! :thumbsup:

I never even noticed the subtle changes to the
    new Tygra figure until you pointed them out. :eek:

Bravo! :liono

17. dark knight

dark knight New Member

i like the improve, i will try to do the same to mine but i have to wait to match the colors the only missing is that the orange part of the hair??? at the sides should have more orange and a little bit more o near the chin

18. oICEMANo

oICEMANo Junior Member

19. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

I thought about adding more orange but got scared, heh.

Also, this was the wrong place to post this thread, maybe a mod could help me move it to the customs section? It has more visibility here, tho...