Tygra ThunderCats Classics Mattel

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Gerrit, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

how is it the same basic buck? The only thing that is reused is the thighs, hands and shoulders. Everything else is new.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The parts are all designed to work around the same buck body.

3. ninja cat

but based on the picture you can clearly see the top portion of the "buck
    " is new tooling. so I guess I dont understand what you're saying.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

How to explain it. From OAFE:

All the Jakks wrestling figures use the same "buck," which
    [​IMG]
    apparently is something we need to explain; looking around online, you'll see a lot of people who think they know what the word means, but are using it wrong. A buck is not another term for a specific body sculpt: Bullseye is not a "buck," and neither is the DCU Classics "slender male" body; it doesn't matter how often that particular sculpt is re-used, it isn't a buck; it's just a body.

Originally, a buck was a solid block of metal
    [​IMG]
    or wood that served as the core of the action figure. The sculptor worked around this, building the clay or wax up with the buck as an internal guide. In the days of the Big Five articulation, the buck also had holes drilled through it to control the placement of the arms and legs. Every figure in a particular line would be built on the same buck, which is why sizes didn't vary much, and all the pieces were interchangable. An arm from Pincess Leia would fit into Chewbacca's shoulder, for instance.
    The advent of improved articulation (on the Generation 1
    [​IMG]
    GI Joes, for instance) meant that the old physical buck didn't work any more, so the idea of a "buck" became more of a carefully controlled set of measurements: disassemble an old GI Joe, and you'll find that you can trade pieces however you want; one figure's biceps are the same size joint as every other's, and the same goes for the shoulders, hips, knees... everywhere the figure moves. All those figures are built on a standard "buck," even when they're different sculpts. It takes more than repainting a single sculpt to have a buck - it's about interchangability of parts across multiple sculpts, and Jakks' wrestling toys definitely have that.

5. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

No horse in this race, but here to help explain, is a photo of a GI Joe buck:
    [​IMG]

jabus, ninja cat and Mark M like this.
  6. ninja cat

yeah I get that....I guess I was thinking that the standard He-Man "body" was the main buck and other variations were built upon that. I dont believe any underlying "buck" for MOTUC exists....I have never seen any pictures or anyone mention that. Thats why I assume the He-Man body is the "buck" for MOTUC.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Everyone has their own definition I guess but that is what I was trying to say when I say the standard MOTUC buck.

8. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Junior Member

Googling doesn't return any, no.

The impression I got from Mark is he's basically saying the basic body type is stuck because of the buck being used - it constrains things like shoulder width, torso height, length of the legs, etc. The pic above I think makes it a little easier to imagine this.

It's hard to imagine new parts being made without some frame-type buck like this existing.

Mark M likes this.
  9. ninja cat

yeah. thanks for the insight. I like your name, btw.:thumbsup

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes this is exactly what I mean. I personally am not a big fan of the MOTUC buck and think they should have done a completely new one for Thundercats.
    The MOTUC buck worked for most figures but on some like the New Adventures figures it just really looked off and especially the ones requiring body armour etc.

ninja cat likes this.