Was Mumm-Ra actually the GOOD GUY?!

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, May 17, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

I know this is kind of silly to even consider but hear me out.
    First off think about it. Until the Mutants flew by the black pyramid Mumm-Ra didn't really do anything when it came to the Thundercat's ship crashing. Also if you consider how inactive he seemed to be before the beginning of the series it seemed that he prefered to just snooze in his sarcophagus or watch TV in is cauldron's water.
    Yes the other beings on the planet knew about him and his pyramid but they honestly didn't seem that concerned about him threatening anybody. Maybe by then he'd basically dominated the planet and felt no need to be active thus basically letting the inhabitants do whatever they wanted.
    Also consider the fact he had taken out a LOT of other villains, like the lunataks and Amuro(?).
    There's also how he reacted to the thundercats when they decided to put up the Tower of Omens. He seemed very upset that random aliens were building architecture on the planet. HIS planet. Consider this. Would you want some alien from another planet coming to yours and deciding your planet belongs to them and if you do anything about it they will beat you back over and over, ignoring the fact that you have a bigger claim on the planet than they do?
    If you think about it it's like it's just one being defending the planet from a pack of entitled alien invaders.
    I know it's rather silly and I'm sure my point of view of this is very likely wrong but I just am dorky enough to consider things from his point of view. That being said I don't hate the Thundercats at all.

2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Only point yo missed is Mumm-Ra getting his powes from teh Ancient Spirits of Evil LOL.

Wilycub likes this.
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

Yes, Like I said it's pretty silly. but every villain is the protagonist of their own story? Unless what we're seeing is the series from the point of view of a Thundarian scholar and they had to make Mumm-Ra seem evil. LOL
    I kid, I kid.

Just remember though I'm likely biased *points to avatar and username* XD

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I don't think your point of view is silly at all. In fact I like it when someone tries to look at things from a completely different perspective. :)

I actually do agree with most of what you said. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Mumm-Ra was a "good guy", but he certainly wasn't the instigator of the ThunderCats-Mumm-Ra conflict. That conflict happened because the Cats invaded Mumm-Ra's home. Even though we were never shown in detail what Mumm-Ra did on Third Earth before the ThunderCats arrived, like you said, it seems that he spent most of his time sleeping in his sarcophagus. As long as there was no one as powerful as Mumm-Ra on Third Earth, he didn't really bother the inhabitants of the planet. Firstly because they were not a threat to him and secondly they did not have anything that he wanted. There was no evidence in the cartoon that Mumm-Ra ever terrorized the Berbils (who were also aliens), Wollos, Bolkins, Warrior Maidens, etc. We saw that other villains did this, like the Mutants and Grune and Lunataks, who all terrorized the inhabitants.

I think even Willa's statement to Lion-O ("Our world has changed since you and the Mutants arrived"), clearly indicates that there was "peace" on Third Earth despite Mumm-Ra's presence. The ThunderCats, and the Mutants following them are the ones who brought conflict to Third Earth.

So your thoughts aren't that far-fetched. ;)

Nelson and adssse like this.
  5. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I'm sorry, I didn't want to make you feel your point was silly; I was just kidding.

Actually, I remember thinking exactly the same when I was a kid: why do the TCs come to Third Earth and try to do things their way, and somehow they are the good ones?
    I think Mumm-Ra even said it a couple of times, that the TCs were invaders in his world. Mumm-Ra could have been evil, but Third Earthling didn't seem too bothered about it until the TCs arrived.

I think what troubled Mumm-Ra was to feel the presence of "good" in his home planet, but what were all the other Third Earthling then? Like Warrior Maidens, Berbils, etc? Maybe although being good, they weren't a "force of good" like the TCs, thus Mumm-Ra never felt threatened by them.

Thing is, why did the TCs feel the need to bring peace and good to a planet that wasn't theirs (and that was quite peaceful IMO) and make things their way, under their code?

Wilycub likes this.
  6. mumm_ra_n_rana

Well Mumm-Rana was there as well and she's the good Mummy magician but she seemed for all intents and purposes fine with the way the world was going and she obviously isn't as powerful as him. I'm guessing aside from her defeating Luna's grandmother and taking her belt she didn't feel the need to do much protection of the planet. I mean until her episode she wasn't even AWARE Mumm-Ra existed!

7. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

This conversation felt familiar, so I did a little googling and came across this forum thread from over ten years ago (!) discussing themes we'd like to see explored in a new series. Among them, I raised the idea of exploring the perception of the Cats among the peoples of Third Earth, given that Mumm-Ra's rule prior to their arrival was most likely crossfire-free and peaceful by comparison. Does that make him the good guy? I didn't think so then, and I don't really think so now. But it's undeniable that there are serious shades of grey around the whole scenario. :p

8. mumm_ra_n_rana

What makes it kind of bad is that in the first episode of "Return to Thundera" the Thundercats act lie destroying the black pyramid which had been there BEFORE the cats even arrived was doing them some kind of favor. The problems really hadn't started until the cats arrived and Mumm-ra started acting like an old man chasing feral cats out of his yard. (that's a metaphor my one friend came up with) XD.
    I'm surprised not a single resident on Third Earth told the Thundercats "Mumm-Ra did not become an active threat until YOU showed up!".

9. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

This is all because there was a conscious decision not to have any official backstory about Mumm-Ra. Watch the documentary on the season 1 DVD, you'll see this talked about. Of course, this show is hardly unique in not explaining why the two sides didn't like each other, there were goodies and baddies and they fought but very few shows explained WHY they fought, or why the baddies did what they did.

Honourable exception, Defenders Of The Earth, where Flash tells Mandrake and Lothar right at the beginning about Ming's intentions - "his home planet Mongo is dying from the lack of resources. He plans to leave Mongo and invade the earth."