WB's ThunderCats "Rock Band" concept (2006)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I hate the Rock Band concept. Like thunderianroyalguard said it is too far removed from the OS theme of sci-fi meets swords and sorcery etc.
    I do agree with NuudoruNoMasho though that the execution of the NS was less than stellar.
    First a scrapped Rock Band idea then the NS....I wish WB would hire someone who knew what they were doing or at least liked it the OS for what it was instead of people who try to turn it into something it wasn't.

2. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

The reason I don't (immediately) crap on this idea (other than I have seen the premise work and come close to work). Is precisely because of the new show that we got.

Someone, somewhere, with a lot of sway, was ashamed of that show and they were afraid of looking stupid. So they did what they thought was safe and popular. Enough so that the new show is practically an unintentional inversion of the old one.

This seems to be a thing. Ever since I was little and playing thundercats in the back yard with my friends, that shame was there. I remember when a cousin of a friend visited and wanted to play with us and we told him we were pretending "thundercats". The disgust on his face and he questioned why we would want to do that "dumb show" and his cousin spouted "nononono 'nuudoru' makes it different!" Which I'm sure I did. I wasn't allowed to watch tv, didn't see a lot of it, and was bound to get stuff wrong. I loved the thing though. It had to be worth while because I loved it. And that game was great because it was made with passion. No fear. Thundercats threw everything at you. It didn't matter. If the creator loved a thing, it went into the show. That's why so many people liked it despite being so darn silly. My friends we all loved different things, and this show was the only show we had in common because it had something for everyone. Mecha, fantasy, science, myth, music, vaudeville...Faffing vaudeville.

I don't (immediately) crap on this idea because it has something the old show had. Joy, hope, and a lack of fear. And if thundercats is to come back, they need a crew that owns the good and the goofy like gurren laggan!

3. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Nuudoru, I absolutely love reading your posts. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed playing your ThunderCats games very much as a kid. Probably even now!

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Nuudoru, that is one of the best post I have read on this site. :thumbsup:
    I understand what ypu are meaning and I completely agree.

5. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Didn´t like the idea, not fan of Lesan´s designs. If i am not wrong, he draw the comics based on the 2k3 tmnt cartoon which artwork wasn´t appealing for me.

But i wonder, if they had produced that rock band concept toon, the 2011 version could have been more appreciated for those who didn´t like it? :confused::confused:

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I guess it's like NuudoruNoMasho said, we can't judge it because we don't know how it would have turned out. The concept definitely does not appeal to me but who knows, maybe if they had likeable and interesting characters and a good writing team creating interesting stories who knows what could have been.

I am not a big fan of the design or style of the 2012 TMNT cartoon but as far as characters and stories, it is absolutely brilliant.