What characters (ThunderCat / Thunderian or Mutant) would you have liked to be introduced?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Tygra_Rules, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Hi!

The "Return to Thundera" arc, although being pretty lame and unpopular, introduced new Thunderians, but it was hard to determine what type of cats they were. I think Leah (and her family) was a lioness, due to her appearance and her name. But what about Torr and the other refugees? Also, in the comics we met Lynxana, Bobcat (a bob cat? lol) and the Dogs of War, but they wasted a chance to introduce some interesting characters by making them all dog breeds instead of canine breeds, IMO (there could have been wolves, foxes, coyotes, etc).

I know some people write (or think on) fanfictions and create new characters, some even make sketches of them, so, just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what type of cat or animal you'd have liked to see being introduced in the show.

Here are some I've thought of:

For the TCs / Thunderians: we already have lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards (assuming Panthro was one), wild cats, jaguars (assuming Jaga and Jagara were ones), lynxes and pumas, so in a fanfcition I wrote (in my head lol but am this close to make it real, and shout out to Wilycub who's helping me in that) I thought of the following:
    • Clouded leopard
    • Ocelot
    • Serval
    • Caracal
    • Snow leopard
    • Jaguarondi
    I thought of other cats; there are lots in America, but most of them are very similar to the ocelot, and even smaller (margays, colocolos, etc) and in Africa and Asia, but they look like big house cats, so it would be hard to give them a special characteristic or feature. Can you think of any else?

About new Mutants, there are reptiles (although Slithe it's not a particular kind of reptile), monkeys, jackals (which would count as dogs), vultures and rats. Also, I didn't want to repeat other Third-Earth anthropomorphic creatures, so I disregarded the animals represented by the Ancient Spirits of Evil (boar, crocodile, bull and vulture) or Third Earthling (pigs - talbots, sheep - bolkins, crabs - crabmen, sea lions - Tuskas, and moles - molemen). So I thought of the following:
    • A horse / zebra
    • A rhinoceros
    • A bear
    • A hyena (I always thought Demolisher was either based in a hyena or a Tasmanian devil, but it'd be nice to see a hyena Mutant. Some would say it's similar to Jackalman, but hyenas are no canines, so still counts).
    I first thought of s sheep, but Bolkians are supposed to be sheep-like people, so I dismissed that.

So what about you? What animal would you have liked to see in the show either as a goodie or a baddie?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    ThunDerianRoyalGuard and Wilycub like this.
  2. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

speaking of which. what kind of cat was jagara supposed to be? she looked nothing like any cat I've seen in my life. and please don't say "jaguar" because there os no indication that she is one.

I would have liked to see something sting ray themed. I know I'm weird. I just LOVE sting rays!
    Also a turkish angora all white cat with blue eyes that was deaf.

3. Tygra_Rules

I do think Jagara was supposed to be a jaguar. Yes, there's no indication she's one, but there's no indication she could be ay other cat either, and at least her name sounds like a jaguar, so that might be the strongest indication. Same with Jaga if you think that for a while ;)

4. mumm_ra_n_rana

Lol maybe but Jaga looks like he'd be comfortable in a legend of zelda game, though. XD I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of practical use jagara's hat had. It looks like she had a shell on her head.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  5. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

In the fanfics that are in my head, Frogman is the last of a clan of frog mutants. I've also considered birds of prey, like condors, who would be higher on the avian totem pole than Vultureman and his ilk. I think I also once jotted down Bovinians (cow/bull mutants, though that would go against your ASOE caveat) and Ichtyors (fish mutants who wouldn't be much use above water).

There is a Rhino mutant in "Mandora and the Pirates", so that could be something. I also really like the idea of Demolisher as a renegade hyena mutant. If he was Plun-Darrian, I can't imagine Rataro wanting him around! He could also be an African Wild Dog, if you wanted to keep him in the canine family. ;)

6. Tygra_Rules

Glad to know the rhino is a common element :thumbsup

Yeah, I thought of Frogman too, but thought he'dd be something like Slithe. Also considered some new birds, but that area is already covered by Vultureman LOL. As a matter of fact, condors are not more birds of prey than vultures, they both are more scavengers that feed on carrion. When I think of birds of prey I think of hawks, eagles and the likes :). I first thought oif a bovian as well, but rejected it because of the bull ASoE.

Never thought of fish-like Mutants, mostly because of what you said that they wouldn't be that much useful outside water.

Demolisher as an African wild dog is a great idea.

Now, if tehre was a female Mutant, what animal do you think she would be? A female rat? A vixen? A hyena? Given that, in hyenas clans, females are the ones to lead; they are alpha female! Or maybe a female spider?

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  7. mumm_ra_n_rana

There should be a snake mutant! He could be a black mamba.

8. Tygra_Rules

Remember in the 2011 version of the series there was a chamaleon Reptilian? I think that was great, and would have been a great foil for Tygra as chamaleons can "becomen invisiblie" via mimic.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  9. mumm_ra_n_rana

Nah, that would have required creativity. I mostly want a black mumba snake mutant because it could have been very knowledgable about all kinds of poisons, venoms, toxins of any kind. mwahahahaa :mummra:

10. Tygra_Rules

But there ALREADY WAS that chamaleon.

Like your black mamba idea and all the poisons stuff.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  11. mumm_ra_n_rana

your chameleon idea is good too. too bad the reboot missed a good opportunity.

12. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Great thread Tygra_Rules! :thumbsup

First off, yes it bugged me too that some of the characters didn't really look like their animal counterparts at all. Jaga and Jagara look nothing like Jaguars. Not even spots on their body? But I'm guessing that it was probably a conscious decision to make the good guys more "human" and the bad guys more "beast-like". Which is why the villains (Mutants, Grune, Shiner etc.) look more animalistic. :)

As for new characters, I really like the suggested idea of having a Hyena in there somewhere. In fact, I do feel that "Demolisher" would have looked a lot better and fierce if he was a hyena. He already had the hunched back. And hyenas and big cats don't get along at all! Bear was also a great idea for a new character. Unfortunately we only got to see the mechanical Polar Bear that belonged Captain Bragg. ;)

What about having a Snapping Turtle as a new character? It's shell could act as a really tough and impenetrable armor (one immune to even the blasts from the Sword of Omens). And since there was a "Rhinosauran" (the prisoner on Grey Penal Planet), what about a Hippo inspired character? He could be something like "King Hippo" (for those familiar with the old NES boxing game "Punch Out").

13. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Well, they did include a lot of different races, species and communties which really helped the world-buliding. I cant say I wouldve like more species, but I would have liked to see more characters of the already estalished species and races I.E. Ratilla was a great addiion to the TC Universe, not only because of the character, but his inclusion also gave Ratar-O more depth.

adssse, Tygra_Rules and Wilycub like this.
  14. Wilycub

A very good point! Ratilla and Ratar-O give us a sense of the rat species. Similarly the Reptilians also hint a bit at Slithe's kin. But the "Jackalmen" and "Monkians" were very disappointing. They were nothing more than clones of Jackalman and Monkian. At least the animators should have made them a bit different and given them some individuality.

adssse and Tygra_Rules like this.
  15. Tygra_Rules

There's an interesting point there. Grune, being a TC, looked a lot more cat-ish than the TCs. Of course, I think that was meant to hilight his "evil" nature, making him closer to the Mutants than to Thunderians.

When I thought of a female hyena Mutant, I think I had Crasher from Go-Bots in the back of my mind. The way she used to laugh manically could have been used in a female hyena as well, besides what I said ebfore about female hyenas dominating their family clans.

As for the "only mechanical bear" thing... DON'T FORGET ABOUT BERBILS! Lol

Oh, and I loved playing "Punch Out" :D

Wilycub likes this.
  16. Tygra_Rules

Different dogs (wolves, foxes, coyotes, dingos) and monkeys would have been nice, but I guess that would have taken too much work and they ran the risk that fans liked them and demanded more of them, so I think they chose the safe path.

Wilycub likes this.
  17. Wilycub

That is probably why they also made Pumm-Ra look more cat-like. :)

The characters had some great names! :laugh

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  18. Tygra_Rules

I think so, yes. Pumm-Ra looked more Mutant than Thunderian. Oh, and he resembled more a male lion than a puma LOL

19. mumm_ra_n_rana

You mean to say Demolisher WASN'T a hyena?! All this time I thought he was one!

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  20. Tygra_Rules

Me too, as he even laughs all the time, but then I'cve read somewhere (can't fuind the source) that he was supposed to be a Tasmanian devil or some kind of wild dog, or even a -now extinct- Tasmanian wolf (or Tasmanian tiger).