What do you collect?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by MannysCollectibles, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Just like the title says. I know some may collect ThunderCats toys but is there anything else you collect besides ThunnderCats. Myself I actually collect coins...quite an expensive hobby but its very enjoyable and you can have history in your hands. I have an obsession with gold as you can see

Here is a few of my pieces

Attached Files:

2. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

im a huge action figure collector in general, and former comic book addict (a full year sober)

right now i collect MOTUC, DCUC, Marvel Universe, the returning Marvel Legends, Thundercats (all 3 current scales), some Gi Joe, some Star Wars, Transformers, a bit of Halo, Play Arts stuff, and anything that just looks cool on the toy aisle.

i intend to be adding the 4in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat lines soon as well

3. Thundercat01

Thundercat01 Active Member

Besides thundercats I mainly collect video games, I've probably collected over 10000 games and 300 consoles. I've also collected a fairly big collection of hasbro wrestlers but I've started to sell them off now. I used to collect coins when I was a kid, I've still got them kicking around somewhere.

4. MannysCollectibles

I would love to look at a video game collection such as yours. Do you have any pics of your collection. Whats your most expensive console and game you have.

You dont happen to have a Stadium Events laying around do you????

BTW...you should look at your coins, you may have something of value in there. Let me know if you find them and I can tell you more info on them

5. Thundercat01

Thundercat01 Active Member

I keep meaning to try and photograph it all and add some pictures but 90 percent is boxed up. I have a german VGA 80 graded stadium events that I paid around £450 for a couple years back. I've got quite a lot more thundercats since I last added to my collectors showcase including battery offer mummra and another loose Luna lasher mummra. I'll try dig out my coins, I don't think there's was anything of real value from what I remember. I've got a few rare pc engines and obvious games like panzer dragoon and conjers bad fur day mib, not that expensive but still collectable.

6. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

I'm not an avid collector or anything but if something catches my eye I might buy it, which is dolphins.

7. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

Toys..tons of toys. Mostly action figures. Ben 10, Zoids, Pokemon, DragonBall, ThunderCats, Digimon, Disney (Kuzco & Co., Bolt, Toy Story), How to Train Your Dragon, Star Wars..list goes on. @_@

8. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

I've always been a toy collector myself, though not a hardcore one; I hardly ever keep things mint-in-box and never buy more than one of an item.

It started with Kenner's Star Wars toys in the '70s. In the '80s I think the toy line I was most fond of was M.A.S.K. (I still have them wrapped-up in a box in storage!) In the 2000's, I absolutely LOVED Mattel's MOTU relaunch...until they cancelled it (A shame. They really shot themselves in the foot with that, what with their spotty distribution and over-reliance on He-Man and Skeletor variants).

These days, I've been collecting Mattel's DC Universe Classics line, which I'm almost finished with (just need to get Black Adam, Gentleman Ghost and a completed Giganta). And I've also been looking at some of Hasbro's Star Wars line, particularly the re-releases of the original trilogy vehicles. I'm hoping that for the 30th anniversary of Return of the Jedi that they'll finally make Jabba the Hutt's Sail Barge, at which point I can die a happy man.

Second to that, the other thing you could say I probably collect are video games. I've amassed a library over the years that includes PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. Next to that are collections of my favorite movies, which I'm in the process of replacing the DVD editions with Blu-Rays as they're released.

9. Dragon_eye

Dragon_eye Junior Member

Well I have collected comics, star wars figures, coins, fossils and other odd things. Right now I am mostly into antique swords, I am now a proud owner of a Japanese WW2 short sword. All I can say it is amazingly sharp and beautiful. (I did play with it a bit until I slashed a bush in the front yard and realized how sharp it really was)

10. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

I'm a eclectic collector; I have coins, books, movies and some fanfics. When I was a teenager, I was an ametaur doll collector as well.

11. Devall

Devall Junior Member

I have gotten WAY into collecting talking toys from the 80's. I have as of this writing,
    Teddy Ruxpin and Grubby
    Mickey Mouse and Goofy
    Mother Goose
    Snoopy and Woodstock
    Talking Fieviel from An American Tail
    Talking ALF
    Storytelling Big Bird

I'm missing Hector the Ugly Duckling and Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster to go with Big Bird but so far the sickness is speeding right along! lol!

Not sure why I have gotten so heavily into these toys, but I have had a heck of a lot of fun finding them. Part of the reason my Thundercats reviews have been a little slow lately. I had to fix a number of them, and that captured my ADD like nothing else has lately!

12. MannysCollectibles

You have some coins???? Can you tell us what you have or you can PM me what you have. It may be valuable ;)

On a side note I got thse back from the grading services. Beautiful gold coins and tons of history behind them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I do have the full collection of Simba Ducktales figures made in Germany in the 90's. I have to say these were the ONLY decent action figure style toys of the Disney Afternoon cartoons (along with Bandai Talespin) we ever got!

They are like a felt/flocked texture with poseable arms, legs and head. They also included removable clothing and Scrooge came with his cane and Launchpad with his scarf (made of cloth) Took me ages to find them all MIB.

The collection includes: Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey and Louie, Webby, Gyro Gearloose, Launchpad McQuack, Baggie Beagle and Big Time Beagle. Being such a big Ducktales fan I love them! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Forgive me for bringing this thread back to current.

MannysCollectibles, I'm really interested in collecting coins. I've watched my father collect his expensive mint stamp collection (which I have the privilege in owning now.....but will never sell) Ever stamp has a history on how he got it.....especially "Cattle in the Storm" go on, google it.....only a few hundred were made and my father owns one. It's practically priceless to the avid stamp collector....that and he has a "Landing Jenny" you all know of the upside-down Jenny plane..........my father owns the "landing Jenny" where the plane is printed at the very bottom of the stamp by mistake......it's worth alot.

I want to start off with collecting U.S. coins. I have a few silver quarters and a few dimes. I am not ready to start off with gold.....(LOL, too broke to even try at this time), but what will be a good starting point? I'm not sure I want to do those "folding books" things.......I think a coin should be like an old stamp.....in a protective covering.

When my father would go to the coin and stamp shop, as he would buy an expensive stamp, I was too preoccupied in the coins on display.

Where should I start?

15. MannysCollectibles

Holy cow...your father owns the upside down airplane stamp. Those are worth a fortune. As far as where to start it really can go in so many directions. One can take the route of making a "type" set meaning one of each coins of a series or even one of each type of coins from a certain era...say 20th centure. Those are fairly easy to do and theyre still affordable. I tend to agree with you on the whole prtoective covering of a coin and there are several companies out there that provide grading and encapsulating services but obviously that will cost extra so my adbice is to go for coins that are ungraded and that appeal visually and budget wise. You can still buy ungraded coins and then get capsules to store them in. You can later send them to get graded and encapsulated if you choose to.

You can also take the album route and while not appealing to some it does provide you a means of displaying them. If you want to get started in coin collecting you can opt for coins that are appealing to you. This website gives you a run down on the majority of US coins that you can collect: http://www.coinresource.com/articles/build_type_set.htm

Collecting coins can be affordable but it can be a very expensive hobby especially if you dive into gold coins. Even so you can get the smaller gold coins for between 100-200 and while not cheap they are certainly within the affordable range if you put a little bit away each month. Also take a look at www.usmint.gov its the US Mint and there are lots of different modern coins for you to choose from.

Collect coins with what appeals to you. I tend to like older European gold and older US and World coins. Im not too much into the modern stuff except if I want to buy them strictly for investment purposes (or to flip them on Ebay) such as for my retirement, etc...these type of coins are "bullion" coins and are mostly for precious metals investment.

I would say since you already have a few silver dimes why dont you start there and see where it goes. You can try a hand at doing a 20th century type set where you collect one type of each coin from the 20th century, that should be fairly affordable. Or hell just start collecting coins based on a theme...you'll be amazed what you find out there that is affordable and very appealing.

If you need any more advice you can shoot me a PM or even post on here. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Oh and get yoruself this book: 2012 Guide Book of United States Coins: Red Book http://www.amazon.com/2012-Guide-Un...3470/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330414162&sr=8-2

Its the best guide out there on coins. A great starting point so you can see the different designs and prices

16. LOL, I wish my father owned the "Upside down Flying Jenny"...he only owns the "Landing Jenny" as I stated. Still the same, it's worth a lot.

I was thinking of collecting the early 1900's and earlier. Silver is a good start and a great investment. Some late 1800's coins look like a goal to strive for. I'm getting a refund soon and I really want to start investing in a good hobby. I already collected most of the UK Tcat comics and besides my father's stamp collection...........I want to start another collection, I was always drawn to coins.

Something about the 1800's drew me to them. I would really to start with them.

17. gjustis

gjustis Junior Member

As a collector myself, I must say: great thread! :D

I myself collect artwork - mostly animation art, quite a bit of comic art...for an idea, here's the "office space" in our place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest assured our whole apt doesn't look like this... :cool:

For anyone interested, here's my animation art gallery:

Bluegrass Cartoonology
    http://bgcartoonology.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

18. MannysCollectibles

Sounds like a great start for you would be a US Type Set. Check this set out: http://home.comcast.net/~w2up/dansco_type_set/type_set.html

It will probably take you a while to complete. Mine is probably less than half complete but hey thats the joy of the hobby you dont want to get everything at once and burn yourself out. The Album for that set is called Dansco 7070...its great because you can display everything and it tells you what you need to complete it. Great starting point
    1800s coins are awesome and some of the best designs came from that era no doubt. There are lots of coins from the 1800s that are very affordable.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  19. That set you showed me looks great. I'll start with that. My question is, should I just have the coins in protective cases loose or in some kind of binder? Either way, I won't have the coins without some kind of protective case.

I'll try to make some kind of book binder if necessary. I don't want a bunch of coins in plastic coated covers in a box. Everything has a history.

20. MannysCollectibles

I would actually advice the Dansco 7070 Album. You can check Ebay or google for shops that sell them. The album is nice because they stay protected by a plastic clear sleeve so they wont get scratched up. If youre going to start the set I can get you started with one coin under one condition...you have to post a picture of your set when and if you get the album. The coin I would send you is a silver Liberty Seated half dime...you can see it on the link i posted.

Free of charge to you...obviously I cant send it without an address but Im sure you can PM me that.

Ill post what i have so far when i get home tonight.