What ws Mumm-Rana doing all of this time

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by srebak, Aug 2, 2016.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Clearly the character of Mumm-Rana was meant to be Mumm-Ra's polar opposite, the universe's answer to him and his evil, the Raava to his Vaatu, if you will. So, by that logic, shouldn't that mean that she should oppose him and his villainous schemes at every turn? I mean, she clearly looks after Third Earth, since she defeated Queen Luna. So, why wasn't she basically at war with Mumm-Ra? I mean, the evil mummy apparently received no real threats to his evil until the Thundercats arrived, so, what gives?

2. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Good question. It's even more peculiar since they had already created Wiz-Ra, who was portrayed as Mumm-Ra's original arch-nemesis. One of the many inconsistencies I guess.

3. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Not a fan of Mumm-Rana, was it feasible that she’d never met Mumm-Ra when he happened to drop into her pyramid.

Anyway, it says Lynne Lipton voices her in the first appearance, but it’s clearly Erika Scheimer’s voice , she did voices in He-Man and She-Ra, it’s an unmistakable voice. She must have been paying Rankin-Bass a visit and did some guest voicing.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. LiamABC

I'm not an expert on Erika Scheimer's voice, but don't forget that whoever provided the voice for Mumm-Rana it was mechanically lowered in pitch.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That does not sound like Erika Scheimer to me.

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

It was Lynne Lipton voicing Mumm-Rana with her voice pitched down during the character's first appearance, and in "Mumm-Rana's Belt," Gerriane Raphael (Pumyra and Chilla) took over as the character.

LiamABC likes this.
  7. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Wizz-Ra made a better nemesis for Mumm-Ra for me than Mumm-Rana.

Tygra_Rules and Captain Shiner like this.
  8. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Does to me.

All of Lipton voices, you can detect it’s her. Mandora for instance, much lower but you can tell it’s her. There is a completely different sound to Mumm-Rana’s Voice

9. LiamABC

Like I said, the voice was tweaked about by the sound crew, like that of the Berbils but not as drastic.

10. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Fair enough. That's some serious tweaking,

11. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Wilycub and LiamABC like this.
  12. LiamABC

That's definitely Lynne Lipton.

You obviously have some very useful software Booshman - better than mine. Can you filter out the effects for the Berbil voices so we can hear who did them?

Mark M likes this.
  13. Booshman

I just ran it through audacity, free software. I could have a go at the berbils but we would need to establish what was done to reverse it. Mumm-Rana was obviously a difference in pitch, but the berbils I'm less sure what they did.

14. LiamABC

I don't know. My own suspicion was that it was a vocoder/distort mic, so the effect was applied at the source, rather like the Daleks in Doctor Who.

15. Booshman

I had a go but everything I do just makes it sound like a distorted berbil. I believe that too much of the original audio information may have been lost in creating the berbil sound to restore it to anywhere near the original.

LiamABC likes this.
  16. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

people weirdly think she was voiced by a trans gender person or a drag queen. I don't know why, so don't ask me.

LiamABC likes this.
  17. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

The deep man-like voice perhaps?

LiamABC likes this.
  18. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I would have loved to see this angle and idea explored further in a new series. Possibly have Mumm-Ra defeat Wizz-Ra at some point in the past and trap him. Then Mumm-Rana comes along to take his place as the balance.

As to why she's not always involved, I got the impression she had her part of the planet, and Mumm-Ra had his. They were polar opposites in every way, if you will.

Daremonger likes this.
  19. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

The fact that Mumm-Ra knows about her but she doesn't know about him to me suggests that he subdued her long ago, wiped her memory and magically forced her to lay low. Why would she sit idle all that time, when Mumm-Ra professes to exert his evil control over the whole planet (or half the planet in the days of Zaxx), unless she were somehow hamstrung? She is, by all appearances, Mumm-Ra's equal, his Good counterpart. Something must have happened to her.

LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  20. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Yes, what happened to her is that they didn't think about her until the need due to girl power rising up in the 80s. It wasn't Mumm-Ra who hamstrubng, it was writers and producers :laugh

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    LiamABC and Daremonger like this.