Why Bandai's Thundercats are great.

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Mark M, Feb 17, 2011.

1. A lot of the sentiment of wanting the Horsemen to do the Thundercats toys stems from back in 2009 when at an SDCC panel Mattel was asked about acquiring the Thundercats line and one of the execs said they were trying to get the rights to do it. This was almost a full year before the new show or partnership with Bandai had been announced.

Back then the Horseman and Mattel were the clear cut best choice to do the line given the success of the MOTU Classics figures without a supporting show.

It was more or less hoped that Thundercats Classics would be revived in the same vein by at least most everyone in the action figure boards I was posting and looking on at the time.

I'm still not convinced that the Bandai Classics are of the same likeness quality that we could get from the Horsemen, but I do agree they could have been worse, and I also would have sited Ben 10 as an example of worse given neither that show or the figures I've seen appeal to me. I was afraid that or some of their DBZ figures (albeit some of the DBZ figs from Bandai Japan look pretty good) were going to be the model they used.

Oh and one other thing I jokingly disagree with you on. In a perfect world, Sideshow or Hot Toys would be doing the Thundercats Classics line :cool::cool::cool:

(I hope that if I keep repeating that statement enough times, that someone from Sideshow or Hot Toys is a fan and is perusing the board and sees one of my posts and the light bulb comes on. That will never happen, but I can always hope.)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Horsemen are good but lets face it (pun intended) its th face sculpts the Horsen are not always great at. Some are very goos but but some are very bad and bare no likeness to the character. MOTU 200X Heman, MOTUC He-Man (from the side its awful), DCUC Shazam/ Captain Marvel (looks nothing like his classic comic, cartoon or super powers look) and the Movie Ghostbusters, Winston isnt too bad but the rest, wow very little resemblance at all.
    Bandai Classics look like they did inthe cartoon. :D

3. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

or McFarlane toys. they might suck on articulation, but they're top notch on sculpting detail.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Do you not think there are already enough Thundercats statues on the market? :D

5. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

not any that would only cost $10 like a McFarlane one would.

6. I haven't seen anything from McFarlane that can hold a candle to Sideshow or Hot Toys. There's a reason those figs cost $100+

I really really really really hope that comes to light one day. Surely some Hard Hero collectors out there would jump at the opportunity to collect a figure that visually is on par with a statue, but with mad amounts of articulation (over 30 points for SS Joes), lots of accessories, and top quality material outfits (not molded plastic).

I mean it would only work for a select few figures I"m sure. But, as many Joes as SideShow put out I don't see why they couldn't do 8 Thundercats (Jaga, Lion-O, Panthro, Cheetara, Tygra, Lynxo, Pumyra, and Bengali), 4 Mutants, and Mumm-Ra

They'd probably be limited to 750-1000 pieces, but I'd put up my next paycheck that they would sell out of every one of them.

This would be exciting if, for no other reason than the fact you'd FINALLY have a Jaga with a cloth cape and the articulation and capability to pull off his disappearing pose

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. cloudraker19

cloudraker19 Crabman

I was looking at the longevity of the Ben 10 line yesterday, and it really got me thinking how cool it would be if we could get an assortment of beasts/vehicles to go along with the 4 inch line. I'd really like to see a snowmeow, vultureman's ship, rataro's ship, the thunderstrike, etc.

I know since its the 4 inch line it would probably need to be in the show, so I hope we DO get some cool looking vehicles in the show eventually. (the thundertank is still awesome though!)

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was looking at some old threads I started. How drastically wrong I was LOL.

9. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I adore the classics line - just wish they'd come up with just one size! and just wish someone would continue with it. no use buying these all over again just to fit! it's bad enough having a gold lion-o, a wave 1, wave 2, deluxe and bike / vehicle lion-o just for the sake of the differences. but that's what you do when you're a collector. They should've released them with other figures! duplicates sometimes spoil it. And releasing their toy line half way, well, that's the same as cancelling the series without a proper farewell. Just wish they'd come forth with all the other figures they had planned! I'm sure they did plan others and even had them ready to release until the plug was pulled.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I did like the Classics line....the 8" figures. I wish Bandai had kept it going our just released the main cast online.

11. Sebastiaan

Agreed! If we could have had a full set of the 8" line, that would've been great. Can already see Cheetara and Panthro in my head. Would've been happy with just the TC's, Mumm-Ra and the mutants for that matter. Perhaps we should ask Lulu-Berlu to create these missing items, seeing as their customs of the Lunataks line is looking so fabulous.:thumbsup:

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I like those Lulu-Berlu figures but they are too expensive for all they are.
    It would be cool if Funko could continue the vintage line in the LJN style the way they are releasing vintage late 70's-early 80's Star Wars style figures based on other popular movie and TV shows.

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

My sentiments exactly. I would really like to pick these up, but there is no way I can justify it.

I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the Bandai Thundercats. I would like to see some improvements made to them, but was thrilled to have new figures to collect.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  14. Sebastiaan

I get ya! They are expensive, but maybe it's just my collecting heart urging to have them that's convinced me - apart from the fact that they look great. I'm sure they'll eventually come down in price when the demand increases. Here's hoping.

As for the continuation - I don't mind who does it - but as long as they keep the style as those already released, we wouldn't have to buy them again. They can start with an 8" Mumm-Ra, then I don't have to buy the 6" version!

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well I have my original collection and I am happy with them. If Another revival or Classics line comes along I will support it, if they are good. For now I am focusing on getting a couple Bravestarr pieces I need and reacquiring a couple Star Wars pieces....I am quite excited about the new Rebels show.

16. The Drifter

The Drifter Berbill

I slightly regret not picking up at least some of the 2011 Thundercats figures when they were out in stores. At the time, I wasn't a Thundercats fan but was curious about the relaunch, and did want to show support for the new toys - especially given that I liked the look/design of them. I like Japanes anime, so these were right up my alley. However, as it stood I had too many collectibles anyway, so passed on these - I also knew that if I got any of them, I would be tempted to get all of them, including the vehicles/playset, etc..

That all being said, it's probably just as well since - again, I don't have room for these ;)

jabus likes this.
  17. jabus

jabus Laser Beast

Where I did the complete opposite and I have an obnoxious amount of the bandai stuff cos I tracked down ever little difference/variant and it definately takes up a good chunk of space. :giggle

adssse and ThunDerianRoyalGuard like this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The figures are nice enough but the vehicles and playset were rubbish. I wasn't too keen on the 2011 series but the 6" figures were pretty great.
    A couple years back here in the UK you could buy a case of the basic figures for about £12.

19. Sebastiaan

From what I just heard in the podcast about 2011 TC's end, it sounded as if Bandai had some amazing products lined up - even more than what we saw in that lost wave pictures. Man it would have been awesome.

Mark M likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really wish Bandai's toyline continued. I wasn't a big fan of the 2011 cartoon but I liked some of the toy designs and would have bought the 6" figures and the Classics.

Sebastiaan likes this.