Why do some of the figures get "sticky"?

Discussion in 'LJN ThunderCats Toys' started by AlexofThundera, Oct 6, 2007.

1. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

I've noticed that some of the Thundercats that I have acquired recently have a bit of that stickiness going. Not all the figures but some. It seems that the last series figures do not have this problem, its mostly the first and second series.

Can this be cleaned off with soap and water, or is it best to leave them alone?

2. matt

matt Thunderian Legend

you can try. It happens with a lot of vintage lines, its basically from the breakdown of the plastics. You can see if you can get it off sometimes you can others you cant. The later releases esp, Pumyra and Bengali get mold spots on them more often than not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. Vintage

Vintage Glass Walker

Alex, this happened to a lot of my He-Man figures. I managed to removed that disgusting stickiness with soap and water.

And if you can, use a... er.. (what's the name of it in English? It's that thing with cotton on both ends that people use to clean their ears... ) with alcohol.

Clean the parts that DON'T have paint, i.e., the parts that are pure plastic, like Lion-O legs, etc, because if you press it hard, you may remove the paint and I'm sure you don't want that. Do it carefully and I think you will remove the stickiness. Do this 2, 3 times.

Hope it helps!

4. AlexofThundera

Yeah I thought about the alcohol trick but was weary of the paint coming off. The little things here are called Q-tips btw:) I will try your suggestions, thanks!

5. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Have you tried Goo Gone??? It works wonders on action figures to remove sticky residue from glue and other stuff

6. AlexofThundera

Goo Gone Huh? I've heard of it but never tried it. I've got a Rataro figure that is in excellent shape, but his arms (especially the shoulders) are super sticky. I'm gonna get some of that Goo Gone and give it a shot. Hopefully Home Depot or Lowes has it. Thanks!:)

7. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

As a matter of fact, guys, the hair of my old She-Ra doll is sticky. Is there any way I can clean the hair without having it fall out of the doll's head? The last thing I want is a bald She-Ra! :)

8. kylefromdirtnapp

kylefromdirtnapp Vortex Explorer

I thought that Goo-Gone eats plastic? Better check the label!

9. MannysCollectibles

It doesnt eat the plastic, however for things like price stickers were you have the sticky glue residue it takes it away rather easily. I have removed many stickers from my carded Thundercats with no damage to the card.I would still read the label just to be safe or try it on a rather unnoticeable area or small area on the figure.

I just tried it on my Snowman and it did not eat up the plastic however it made the plastic kinda smooth and shiny

Give goo gone a try on a small area or use a gentle amount of soap or shampoo...I would stick to the baby shampoo though its gentler

10. catspat

Thank you, MannyC. I know my local grocery and drug stores carry small travel-bottles of baby shampoo. I'll go pick up one when I'm in the vecinity. :)

Can you also use baby shampoo to wash the gunk off the toy figures? :)

11. MannysCollectibles

I'd say use the shampoo for the hair but use either goo gone and even Simple Green which will work excellent on action figures as well

12. AlexofThundera

Goo Gone is King!!:D First off thanks for the suggestion Manny.

Here is a before and after of the two areas I goo'd (Circled in yellow). I am very happy with the results. The figure is easily a C8 - C8.5 and it was a shame it had so much stickiness and lint/crap stuck to it.

The last picture shows how much crap came off of the entire figure once I finished cleaning the whole thing.

No paint came off at all. I applied the GG with a qtip, let it settle for a minute or two, and then wiped it off with a clean cloth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kylefromdirtnapp

Gross! I'm getting some Goo Gone. I could've sworn it said not to use on plastic. Maybe I was thinking of Goof Off?

14. MannysCollectibles

Alex those are excellent results, its worked wonders on the cards so I figured it must work excellent on the figure itself. Truthfully I had never tried it myself except on a small area of my Snowman but I heard tons of people say it works excellent. Its a big difference the before and after, and it certainly looks like a newer figure.

15. catspat

Hi again, MannyC. I bought a small bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Is there a certain amount I should mix with water before using it on the She-Ra doll's hair? Or can I just wet the hair and put the shampoo on it, like I was washing my own hair?:?

16. MannysCollectibles

You can just wash it the normal way. I guess depending on how dirty the hair is you can adjust accordingly

17. catspat

Thank you, Manny. I'll play it by ear. :)

18. kylefromdirtnapp

This may be a little off-topic, but I was wondering if you guys dis-infect used toys when you get them. My old lady says I should spray them with Lysol, but I don't want to hurt the plastic, paint, or stickers. Any of you guys do this? I want to, as I a have a touch of OCD! I wash my He-Mans with soapy water and a toothbrush, but I don't want to hurt the Light-up eyes of Thundercats, or rust the screws of Transformers or GI Joes.

19. MannysCollectibles

Ive never done that myself however I think if you clean them carefully with soapy water and toothbrush it should work just fine. As far as figures that are all plastic Lysol wouldnt hurt at all, its good to do that as you dont know where that figure has been or how much bacteria it is carrying.

20. Vintage

Vintage Glass Walker

Yeap! I do! I alcohol all of them! It helps me clean an disinfect. I also put sometimes a product I have here (it's a spray, specially for killing bacteria in houses, etc.. it smells wonderfully!).