Why I am not collecting the Thundercats Classics.

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Mark M, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Friendly reminder to keep things classy here, okay guys? Thanks!

MXTHUNDERCAT likes this.
  2. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Classy? Telling people they are not real fans of a franchise because they are not interested in buying every toy available is classy? Certainly speaking out against that seems frowned upon.

Mark M likes this.
  3. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I'm not getting into the argument too much, but I will say this. If Mattel didn't fully expect some fans to cherry pick figures they wouldn't put them up for individual sale after the subscribers get theirs. They might not be in retail stores, but subscriptions are not going to be the only way to get the figures, and this is part of Mattel's business model. Subscribers are just guaranteeing that they don't lose out on a figure when they sell out.

Mark M likes this.
  4. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

I don't agree with their strategy. It may work on more popular franchises, but not something like Thundercats. The smarter way would be to push main cast first, get everyone hyped. Get the main cast out so you can create a buzz among the fan. Then gear down to push the secondary characters to hardcore collectors.

Had they came out with the main cast first, I likely would've taken the bait.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Just like Masters of the Universe Classics, not all of the figures will have quantities available day of sale.

6. And once the main cast has been released, many fans will stop collecting, which does not support the production of future waves or Mattel's bottom line.

7. Mindless-Focus

Mindless-Focus Junior Member

If this doesn't work for you, Mezco will be doing a 6" line of TCats probably in '17 for their One:12 at about $65-$70 a pop.

8. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

I dont think you understand what I meant, so I will say it again, but I'll use more words.
    Moderator Note: Please be respectful to one another's opinions and refrain from getting personal.

Mark M and thezaxfactor like this.
  9. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

I know that Mattel has had their issues over the years and it's upset a lot of collectors so I'm not going to say that some of the concerns raised are not valid. I will say that I collect quite a few different toylines and QC is definitely an issue across the board though. I collect 1:6 scale Hot Toys and Sideshow and even they have issues at those higher price points. When it comes to price if you look at non-retail 6" scale collectors lines $25-$30 is the cheapest you will find. i can't think of another toyline in the same vein that is that affordable. I'm not trying to convince someone to sub but more like just put things into perspective as to what we are getting and why. I'd hate to see this line suffer because of protests by fans that feel they got burned by Mattel on MOTU. If you take a look back on what we got from MOTU it's pretty damn impressive overall. It sometimes just seems that people desperately want this line to fail as if it will hurt Mattel so badly. If all their collector lines failed they'd be just as happy making Barbies

MXTHUNDERCAT and Daremonger like this.
  10. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I fully support Mattel's ThunderCats line no matter what flaws the figures may have.

11. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

I completely agree with Berserker and Daremonger.......i will fully support Mattel line no matter what!

Berserker and Daremonger like this.
  12. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Agreed! Nothing in life is perfect. Perhaps I am just an optimist or overly grateful.

Sebastiaan, Berserker and Daremonger like this.
  13. Daremonger

So am I. :wilykat

14. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

This is TC fan site....made by fans for fans......toys arent even out yet...login in to this site just to bash the Mattel line.....is like driving to McDonalds go through their dive thru just to tell them how much you are never gonna buy that new burger coming out next month

Berserker and Daremonger like this.
  15. Daremonger

LOL.

16. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Back by populair demand! This thread is reopend!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Sebastiaan likes this.
  17. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

Now this is interesting. Good on you MarkM for raising your opinion. Hope you don't end up paying too much for these amazing figures. Then again, it's often worth it!

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  18. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Seeing the prices the figures are being listed for elsewhere I'd be tempted to get a sub anyway and sell off what I didn't want, rather than try to get the ones I did later. You would more than likely be up on the deal, or at least gotten heavily discounted toys by the end of it.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  19. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

It is what is happening with the new he-man. At least the sub guarantee your figures. Like you said you can always sell the ones you dont want to cover the cost.

20. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

Yeah that's perhaps a wise decision. Who was it that said they love "free figures" after selling off the extras? LOL

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.