Wild Storm Comics Opinions?

Discussion in 'Comics (1985-2018)' started by Mark M, May 11, 2016.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I just wondered what everyone's opinion was of the Wild Storm comics. I personally didn't like them that much as the story arcs were quite short, the art style and writing inconsistent. Of all the comics I think the Hammerhand and Tashee stories were the best along with the single issue of Grune fighing Lion-O.

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I own a few of the WildStorm comics, so I'm willing to overlook their flaws simply because I'm a ThunderCats fan. :)

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You shouldn't overlook it because you are a fan. I am a fan of lots of things but it doesn't mean I have to like everything that has the brand name attached to it.

Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I only properly read the first series (The Return) and I honestly did not like it, and I am a HUGE fan of ThunderCats! :)

Firstly, the art was too varied over the different series. I liked Ed Benes art. His style was the best suited to the comic. Some of the other artwork was just overly bizarre! They should have had Ed Benes do all the art.

Secondly, the execution of the plot wasn't done properly. Making the story dark and mature was a good move but it was done a bit too much and that was a big leap to make from the last episode of the cartoon series (from where the comic continues). There was a bit too much unnecessary violence, like Lion-O snapping a Monkian's neck very early on. There should have been more "action" and less "violence", at least at the start of the series. It is hard to just easily accept the sudden transition from a Lion-O who never even punched a bad guy to the Lion-O who sneaks up on and kills Mutants like a special forces commando! ;)

Also, over-sexing the female characters was completely unnecessary. Why didn't the writers just respect the characters and try to appeal to the fans of the original show instead of pandering to hormonal pubescent kids? Seeing an scantily clad, adolescent WilyKit bathing Mumm-Ra was probably the reason why I didn't bother reading the other books!

It is interesting that many of the themes that were introduced in this series (TCats angry at Lion-O for his betrayal, Thundera in ruins, Mumm-Ra becoming overly powerful, enslavement of Thunderian etc.) were re-used in the 2011 TCats series. Coincidence?? Hmmmm :sneaky

In short, I feel the comic series suffered from the exact same problems that plague almost all the sequels and reboots that are made a considerable amount of time after the original. And that is, in trying to update and make the story contemporary, the writers stray TOO FAR away from original, making the overall franchise seem disjointed and alienating fans of the original.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Agree 100%. They were nowhere near as good as the old Marvel UK comics. Those were like episodes of the cartoon where as the WildStorm stuff was just stuff they would have never done on TV.

Wilycub likes this.
  6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

It has really been a while since I read them, but I have to agree. I liked some of the base ideas and picking up the story after the series, but the over the top violence and especially the over sexing was too far. As an adult I can handle these changes, even though I feel as though they depart from the core values Thundercats was built on. A huge pleasure for me is being able to share my Thundercats passion with my children. They enjoy Thundercats almost as much as I do and I wouldn't want them to view these characters in that way. I know that these comics weren't geared towards kids, but personally it detracts from my overall experience.

Wilycub likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Exactly. I think the writers didn't have much love for the original series and just thought that making the changes they did would be cool.
    I read some Masters of the Universe comics from around 2003 that were based on the cartoon series of the time and they were really good, just like episodes of the cartoon.
    Of all the Wildstorm comics I think the arc focussing on Hammerhand and Hachiman was the best. I can't recall the writer and artist that worked on those issues I will have to look through my collection.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

What i didn´t like is that we have to wait a long time to see something new about the ThunderCgtas, and after what? the second series the story is set forward, like they are older and stuff, and that is something that, at least, didn´t want to see, i wanted all the stories set just after the last episode. BTW, All that is non canon, right?

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The first few issues was set right after the cartoon but The Return story line where Lion-o is inside the book is set 9 years later. Yet the Hammer hand story is during the cartoon, the Tashee story during the cartoon and the Dogs of War story 5 or 10 years after The Return.
    I don't believe it is cannon.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Other cartoon toy based properties have also had good and bad comics. Transformers for example had a very good original US and UK run. The 2005- present IDW comics have been mixed. They started out good with Simon Furman writing them but when other fanboys etc got involved I stopped reading them in 2010. Prowl joining the Decepticons and Megatron joining the Autobots etc.
    Around 2003, same as the Thundercats, from what I understand TMNT had some questionable comics with Leonardo losing a hand and Raphael becoming the leader of the Foot Clan and wearing Shredder's armour.....:00

11. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

That thing about Leo and Raph is from the Image comics, it is non canon. It was before 2003 when they were published.

Mark M likes this.
  12. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Ok, it has been ages since i don´t read those comics, anyway, the stories set in the future and some of the artwork wasn´t a no-no for me.

13. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Aside from the first originals comics(featuring Mumm-ra's origins which I really liked) I don't much have any love for the wildstorm comics ESPECIALLY the ones with slave whiley twins. Yeah, no thanks. Completely OOC. Go flanderized someone else. Keep away from the thundercats and ESPECIALLY MUMM-RA.
    Of course this is just my opinion. If you disagree that's fine too. It just didn't specifically like it. I just left me feeling "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!".

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I didn't read the Mumm-Ra origin comic. Didn't even know about it.

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Ah. I only read some of the Archie/UK, the old original reprints and the current IDW series.

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

you didn't? Well it's pretty good. The comic is called Thundercats Origins Heroes and Villains. I downloaded it which is how I managed to read it. I don't remember the name of the site I got it from though. Sorry.

Mark M likes this.
  17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I downloaded it from a torrent long ago. I did enjoy the origin comics. If nothing else they were interesting and thought provoking!

Mark M likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Might look into finding a copy. I actually got the first five issues (along with some variant covers), the Hammerhand 5 parts and Dogs of War 5 parts in a job lot on eBay years ago quite cheap. Got the graphic novel of The Return and Tashee also quite cheap there.

19. mumm_ra_n_rana

speaking of comics anyone know where I can find a copy of the justice league/thundercats crossover comic? I saw two images from it where Mumm-Ra WRECKED superman and it got me curious.

20. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Not the justice league, just superman and the thundercats -as far i know. i purchased that comics when i was living in london, i went to a supermarket and lost it there, it was too late when i noticed that :/ The comics was really cool.