Wild Storm Comics Opinions?

Discussion in 'Comics (1985-2018)' started by Mark M, May 11, 2016.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know. The season 2 ideas were not great. In some ways it's kind of better they didn't get the second season.

2. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

I have t wonder what they would have done with the lunataks or even ma-mutt. O.O why am I imagining a huge dog on steroids?

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I doubt they could have made the Lunatacks any worse than they were in the original.

4. mumm_ra_n_rana

I'm more worried about Mumm-Ra's dog. whom I liked. Chilla was the only decent lunatak IMO.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree. Chilla was good. I wish she had been a separate villain and not associated with the rest of the Lunatacks. The rest of them were awfully designed with boring character and voices. Even their gimmicks as toys would have been rubbish.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  6. mumm_ra_n_rana

I kinda wonder what the lunataks woulda looked like in the reboot's art style though.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I doubt they would be any worse than the original. I think Chilla would still be the best.

8. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

ThunderCats Sourcebook - Great! A
    ThunderCats #0
    - Great! A
    Reclaiming ThunDera
    1-5 - Pretty good! Art is great, storie was just a rehash of the original Shadowmaster episode, but fun enough. And seeing Grune againis awesome! A
    The Return 1-5 - I understand the complaints people have with this one. The adult themes, violence etc. but I really like it. Actually, I love it. It's a darker, more adult version of the ThunderCats , but it's still very true to the original. A+
    Dogs Of War 1-5
    - Very cool! Love the story, love the aging king Lion-O, the new characters, the Mumm-Ra team-up, all good stuff! And the artwork is really well done. A+
    HammerHand's Revenge 1-5
    - Love the idea, though the story was a bit plain. Really enjoyed seeing Hachiman! B
    Enemy's Pride 1-5
    - This one is just aweful. The idea is fine, but the execution and tone are terrible. D-
    ThunderCats/Superman
    - Fun read, story was not that strong but done well enough. B
    ThunderCats/Battle of the Planets
    - Very cool, nice dynamics between the different characters, wonderful artwork! B+
    ThunderCats Origins 1-2
    - Very cool! Not a fan of all stories, but the are all cool in their own way. Very creative writing and I love the different styles! A+

9. mumm_ra_n_rana

you LIKE that they turned Mumm-Ra into a perverted rapist?!

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I can understand the writers wanting to put in more adult themes for the more mature readers that grew up watching the cartoon but I can't excuse the utter lack of character they had.
    It has been a while, I should re-read them at some point to give a more up to date opinion on them.

11. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Wow. Thats asinine. Did I say that? I said I like the more adult themes, I.E. I'm fine with an 80's cartoon based, modern comic to deviate from a set formula. It's fine that YOU dont like it, but please dont imply such idiotic things about me to support your own point of view.

What they did with The Return was risky and pretty bold. The "perverted fanfic" argument is a very easy way to dismiss a well written [and beautifully drawn] story. It's meant to be dark, it's meant to have weight and real stakes. This is the polar oposite of the 80's cartoon. This is where evil has won. Mumm-Ra got his wish, he is the ruler of Third Earth, the ThunderCats & ThunDerians are his slaves. This is the reality we visit when we read this comic.

The various Wildstorm ThunderCats comics offer different flavors of storytelling, themes and styles. And I really like that.

12. mumm_ra_n_rana

The problem I have is that they didn't have to put such perverted things into it. they could have written the comics WITHOUT putting such things into it. But they just HAD to. They HAD to overly sexualize the female characters, they HAD to make it out that Mumm-Ra and the Mutants are disgusting rapists. A person can be evil without being a rapist! They don't go hand in hand. Also you seem to forget that fact that Third Earth WAS under Mumm-Ra's rule before the Thundercats landed. Did you forget that?

13. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Yes they could have written a totally different storie alltogether, very true. And yes, a person can be evil without being a rapist. (cant believe I typed that :) So can we conclude that your biggest problems with this story arc are the more adult themes and implied violence?

This has literally nothing to do with anything.

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

My biggest problem is the rape. The story would have been fine WITHOUT that. I don't have problems with violence, lots of kids shows have it, teen titans (original series), swat katz, transformers.
    Call me over protective if you wish but I just don't like character flanderization.

15. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

Thats a very fair, well worded point, I completely understand. Well said, buddy! :thumbsup

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

Thanks?

17. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to pitch in my 2 cents. Yes there's a superman/thundercats one shot with a variant cover and also battle of the planets/thundercats one shot with variant and a thundercats/battle of the planets one shot with variant. Cool part is the one shots with battle of the planets make a complete picture with the other title issue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mumm_ra_n_rana

There were ALTERNATE covers?

William Graves likes this.
  19. William Graves

William Graves Glass Walker

Yes. Both battle of the planets/thundercats top cow #1 same story and same for thundercats/battle of the planets Wildstorm Jul. Issues. The covers match the opposite titles. When I was trying to locate all thundercats related comics I found these and I didn't realize that the covers match the other one shots I decided to match the covers instead of the titles.

20. mumm_ra_n_rana

Now that you mention it, the comics I downloaded did have different covers.

William Graves likes this.