Wily Kit and Wily Kat?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Wrath_of_Snarf, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Wrath_of_Snarf

Wrath_of_Snarf New Member

I'm finally re-watching the episodes and I was thinking to myself, they are child too are they not? If Lion aged while in deep sleep why didn't WilyKit and Kat? Am I missing something.

2. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

A widely-held fan theory is that Jaga knew that when the ThunderCats arrived on Third Earth they would need the Lord of the ThunderCats to be an adult capable of leading them, and so Jaga tampered with Lion-O's suspension capsule slightly to allow him to age just enough... :)

Another explanation regarding the Thunderkittens was actually given by Marvel/Star Comics in their comic letters' page - to quote myself from my write-up of this comic - http://www.thundercatslair.org/comics/marvel/marvel_09/ :

"In the letters page of this issue, a reader asks why Lion-O aged during the ThunderCats' voyage to Third Earth whilst WilyKat & WilyKit did not. The answer given is that all the ThunderCats aged during the ship's voyage, but that it was only obvious in Lion-O because he actually grew – whereas, the ThunderKittens were naturally small cats and so couldn't grow any more. This is very interesting (if somewhat implausible), not least of all because it means that the ThunderKittens' more childlike behaviour is not so much because of their age but to do with their genetic makeup."

This theory, of course, was subsequently thrown out of the window by DC/Wildstorm when they created "The Return" and "Dogs of War", two comic series set in the ThunderCats' future! :)

Take care... :)

3. Rippersnapper

Rippersnapper New Member

I try to think of them as small house cats. All the others are based on big cats like lions & tigers. Wiley Kit & Kat are equal to small house cats.

I try to ignore/over-look it in the cartoon when they are called Thunderkittens or children. I was just watching the episode Mongor & in it they were called "children". I try to push that out of my mind as a mistake. But that's just the way I'm going about it.

4. Wrath_of_Snarf

Wrath_of_Snarf New Member

Yea I thought it was very awkward as Lion and WilyKit and Cat were all basically the same age when in they went in the capsules.

I always thought they aged slower than the others. Which they could. I think they just thought they needed a wide age variety of cats on the show. With Panthro and Tygra being the older, more mature figures. That would stay calm, cool, and collected. As well as Cheetara. Then you have Lion-O, Kit and Cat, would together are the younger, naive, inexperienced ones.

5. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Junior Member

The fan theory that Lion-O's pod was somehow tampered with makes sense. I also think it's simply luck-of-the-draw; Lion-o's capsule screwed up, the twins' didn't. In any case, Kit & Kat are still children when they land on 3rd Earth, hence their size. I imagine them being 12 at most when that happens and growing about the size as the others when they age.

6. BerbilGirl

BerbilGirl Junior Member

i was always jealous of them and spike on tf because they got to hang out with thundercats and transformers all day

7. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Forgive my digging up an old topic, but this was from before I joined, and I feel I may have an unique point of view on the subject.

All of the Thundercats have names that resemble the cat line they are descended from; Lion-O/Lion, Cheetara/Cheetah, Tygra/Tiger, Ben-Gali/Bengal Tiger, etc. All that is, except Wiley Kit & Kat.

But, here in South-Eastern part of the U.S. we have something we call a Wild Cat. But its commonly known name is a Bob Cat. The Bob Cat is much smaller than Lions, Tigers, Panthers, Jaguars, etc. Also, there is apparently a cat that is actually called a Wild Cat in Europe, that cat is even smaller than a Bob Cat. And since each ThunderCat has a similarity to the cat line he or she is descended from, it only makes sense that Kit and Kat exibit the smaller figure of the Wild/Bob Cat.

As for why Wiley Kit & Kat act like kids, I always just figured that Lion-O, Kit, and Kat emerged from the suspension capsules as early 20 somethings who still had the minds and thoughts of children. But, unlike Lion-O, Kit and Kat had no pressure to "grow up" quickly to assume the role of Lord of the ThunderCats.

Since Kit & Kat are full grown, and look like kids, the other ThunderCats always end up treating them as kids. They may be a couple years older than Lion-O, but they look and act younger. And if it looks like a kid, acts like a kid, and sounds like a kid, why treat it like an adult?

That's just my $0.02

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  8. cerberus

cerberus Junior Member

funny I always assumed that the reason that Lion-O grew up and Wiley Kit and Wiley Kat didn't was because there was a fault with Lion-O's capsule which meant that the aging process was not as held back as it was with the others

9. AaronAgassi

AaronAgassi Guest

Perhaps while the larger passengers went into a more shallow induced hypothermic hibernation, Wily Kit and Wily Cat, being so much smaller and easier to cryo-perfuse, where actually placed howsoever more deeply into far colder and deanimated cryonic suspension.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  10. Cheetaraslover

Cheetaraslover New Member

It was pretty well explained in the first episode.

1-Aging will be slowed, but not stopped.
    2-Lion-O's pod was damaged.

Obviously, due to the damage to the pod, Lion-O's aging slowed, but not to the same level as the others.

11. Rami

Rami New Member

New to the forum, so I'm sorry for bringing up a dead topic. Though I like "Mcss Aerocoupe" answer which seems/sounds more plausible. Plus "He-Fan" response had his point too.

Yet I have my own idea/theory/thought about it as well, what if the writers just didn't know how to write a appropriate timeline story along with the fact that they didn't know much about science either. Quite a bit of the evidence is there if you poke and prod at it enough. Them equating star systems to galaxies, how Lion-O aged where as WilyKat/Kit didn't. If they supposedly did travel the great length of a galaxy within several decades, then why in the 2nd season didn't the 3 new Thundercats/Thunderians age as much like Jaga did? You might try to say that they did or they were in cryopods but fact is they didn't, pretty much rendered impossible that they did given the fact that the robots commanding the ship had no need for cryopods, like sure they could have built some but if they did they then would have had time and resources to repair the ship, along with the fact that Third Earth was not to far from Thundera with which how quick the ship crash landed on Third Earth. That right there pretty much makes either the first episode of season 1 seem like a mess or the opening of season 2 is a mess.

Got another one for you, if the aging process slows in all of them in the cryopods, then why didn't Jaga just keep the 3 younger ones out of the pods to train them appropriately and once they reached a certain age close to that of the other Thundercats then put them in the cryopods with the others to at least give them a better fighting chance of survival in the new environment.

Fact is, during the interview of the creators and voice actors of the show, they pretty much admitted that the show was for kids and they wanted to teach life lessons along with getting parental approval... so they hired a psychologist to make sure of that, but they didn't hire anyone for the scientific aspect of the show which they should have with all the errors they did. So the show ended up being more about life lessons with parents giving the a-okay and not really of a fluid story that made sense. I could probably point out other inconsistencies, but I think I've given my point.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Daremonger likes this.
  12. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Thundercats Ho basically messes up all the continuity details from Exodus. The lack of suspension capsules is one, but also in Exodus, Lion-O was asleep and didn't know that Thundera was dying, but in Ho, he does.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In Return To Thundera, doesn't it show Lion-O and the others boarding the shuttle also. I always assumed it was something to do with the suspension capsules that caused Lion-O to age while Kit and Kat did not.

14. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Interesting theory, really interesting.

15. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

That flashback sequence was first seen in "The Time Capsule", and then again in "The Trial Of Mind-Power". I forget off the top of my head if it was also seen in "Return To Thundera". Plausible enough.

In any event, that sequence in itself doesn't specifically contradict "Exodus", it doesn't say Lion-O knew what was happening in that moment, and he could have gone straight to his room and gone to sleep (albeit possibly under protest!). The opening sequence of the movie does.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think I might be getting mixed up with the Trial of Mind Power.

17. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

I thought that his pod was damaged and that's why he aged and not the others.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  18. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Yes, I think this is what happened. As for Kit & Kat, they are children, 13 years old I believe. Their capsules functioned, they did not age. Lion-O's capsule malfunctioned. During their sleep, the Eye watched over them and I like to believe Lion-O's aging was by the will of the Eye of ThunDera.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Didn't it make mention of the capsule being damaged in one of the comics or story books?