Wow Cheetara's popular...

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Baena, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Baena

Baena Junior Member

Hi all!

Been a lurker for a while, I joined up shortly after this site went live, but haven't had a lot of time to post here, if anyone here knows me, they know I'm at He-man.org and the FourHorsemen's forums quite a bit.

I've wanted to do some Thundercats art for a very long time now.
    I actually have aspirations to sculpt my own figures someday! (I know I know, dream on...)
    But seeing as the new rumored Thundercats seems to be going in a direction I couldn't care less for, I thought I'd sketch the classic designs.

I also hope to someday do my own redesigns of the great cats and their villians... again, when the earths orbit changes such that we have 36 hr. days insead of 24! Ha HA!

I may finish this a little more with some color and better line, but it'll hafta happen on my lunches.

Hope folks around here enjoy! :)

Cheers!

Baena (aka Nathan Baertsch)

[​IMG]

2. tcatartist

tcatartist Crabman

Thank you for sharing! Awesome sketch of Cheetara, Baena! Your anatomy and being true to the character's original design is very evident and most impressive. I am one who believes that an artist must understand the subject thoroughly before a redesign of said subject is taken on, so you're on a good path!

Your style reminds me of John Buscema's.

What are the drawing tools you used? Any special paper? What's the color you used, sepia?

3. Baena

Baena Junior Member

Thanks tcatartist!

The medium is strictly digital.
    6 x 8 Wacom tablet.
    Photoshop.
    Just picked a medium valued color as it's a sketch. ;)

I did find a reference to look at from a hurdler. Reference is a good thing. :D

4. tcatartist

tcatartist Crabman

Sweet, thanks for the background!

Yes, a very good thing! I have files of reference photos! :cheetaraveryhappy:

5. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Nathan, great to see you over here and loving the Cheetara :)

Definately love to see this piece coloured!

6. Mitts

Mitts Active Member

This reply is both for Fuzzy and myself.

That is a simply beautiful piece. :) Nice, crisp lines, dynamic energy within the pose, a lovely expression on her face and fantastic anatomy.

And the fact it was all done on a wacom art tablet makes it all the more impressive. :)

Great stuff!

7. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

That is a wonderful picture of Cheetara! I love it! thank you so much for sharing... It's awesome!

8. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

Hey Nathan, great to see you over here again! :)

That is certainly a beautiful piece - I'm right with Celesta (tcatartist), your Cheetara reminds me a lot of John Buscema, and that era of Marvel Comics artists and artwork in general. Given that that is my favourite period for comic book artwork, that's the highest compliment I could pay you! :)

It'd be great to see some more sketches - and, with your style I would love to see you do a whole page of ThunderCats comic art!! :D

Take care... :)

9. Baena

Baena Junior Member

Thanks Everyone!

Good to see you too Chris! :)
    Wow that is a compliment, I'm honnored.

I keep thinking about this sketch in particular, and I think I could turn this into a big image of all the Cats together... Whaddya think?

10. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

Only just got around to checking this out. As others have said a clear understanding of anatomy is desplayed here. Refreshing use of a tablet as well... people tend to go for very unnatural looking lines.. these look great!

11. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

That would be most awesome...to see all of them together drawn in such an awesome way.

12. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

Cheetara is lookin' good there. I can't wait to see more from you, Baena.

13. Baena

Baena Junior Member

Thanks all!

I haven't forgotten to finish this piece, I just haven't had the time to do it.
    I actually do have a color piece started...

I'll see if I can't post that here soon.

Oh hey... here it is...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  14. Waiting For Lion-O

Waiting For Lion-O New Member

Wow that looks awesome. You've really captured the characters look and given the image a real dynamic quality.

15. Sight Beyond Sight

Sight Beyond Sight Junior Member

Thats a nice sketch thanks alot for sharing :)

16. omicron

omicron Junior Member

Amazing. Can't wait to see more