X-Men The Last Stand Talkback and*Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by shigsy2003, May 31, 2006.

1. shigsy2003

shigsy2003 Crabman

Howdy

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this.

I saw it yesterady and I thought it was awesome. The action was fantastic and even though it should have been on longer and characters should have been more developed (maybe this is waiting for X-Men 4) it was still worthy of being part of the trilogy. I think it is better than number 1 but not as good as 2.

There are a few things though:

No Gambit
    Jugganaut there, knocked out gone
    Iceman VS Pyro: my biggest dissapointment

What do you guys think and who has seen it?

Chris M

2. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

I thought it was a blast. Kelsey Grammar was PERFECT as the beast!

Only now, I'm REALLY ready for Superman Returns(I'm listening to the audionovel now). And I'm looking really forward to Ghost Rider. I've heard that David Goyer, who wrote the Blade and Batman Begins movies, wrote, or co-wrote Ghost Rider. If so, I know it's gonna be something.

3. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Truthfully I was not even contemplating going to see the latest X-Men because most of the time anything past a sequel is just overdoing it. My expectations was more of Magneto messing around with metal, Mystique mocking everyone with her shapeshifting powers, Wolverine doing more slicing, Storm creating a few more raindrops and Rogue sucking out the life out of somebody.Yes I knew there was more characters but I figured the main characters were going to get more screentime. I was wrong...I truthfully think this one was far better than #1...forget about #2 as I think that was more of a filler than anything else. #3 Really outdid the 1st one. I'm glad I saw the 3rd installment and gave it a chance

4. shigsy2003

shigsy2003 Crabman

Howdy

Awesome glad you liked it and I agree it is better than the first.

Reading your opinion that anything past a sequel is over doing it, which for the most part I agree...unless its the original Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, whats you opinion on Marvel's "all the comic book films will be atleast trilogy's?

Chris M

5. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Very much true but Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are exeptions to the rule. You would't be able to fit 6 Star Wars movies or 3 Lord of The Rings into one.Its just not possible. With the movie industry now a days everything is a sequel or a trilogy. Their just trying to get more money and who could blame them? Movies unless its something like Narnia should be kept to a maximum of 2. So I guess yes I can agree that comic book films will be at least trilogies

6. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

I'm going to go against the grain in that I did NOT like it.

One, (assuming this is the last film in the franchise) how can you kill off three of the core characters in the X-Universe?

Two, if you find the so called "cure" and then show at the end that it may only be temporary (ala the Magneto chess scene), then this whole plot of this movie was for nothing...those three characters died for nothing...and the whole process of humans versus mutants starts all over again without anything becoming resolved.

Now that I've put it into words...it actually does sound more like a X-Men comic book...which is probably why I quit reading them in the mid 90s.

Three, Kitty and Colossus were supposedly key characters in the final fight scene, and yet, they had absolutely NO character development. Since when did Colossus become such a key player on the team? Is he a student or more of a mentor (like Logan or Storm)? Heck, the needle-faced guy had more screen time than Colossus.

Four, why was Halle Berry complaining about not getting enough screen time? She got a TON of screen time in this movie and yet, it did nothing for me.

I could list more, but you can see why I disliked the movie.

This movie had a totally different feel than the first two films. The acting was stiff, the transitions from scene to scene seemed irratic and the pace was so much so that it felt rushed. I really missed Bryan Singer and the more I think about it, the more I look forward to seeing Superman Returns.

X3 wasn't a bad movie, but if I had to rate it from a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6.

7. wacky martin

wacky martin TCL Member

Gotta say I agree with Manny here. The whole cure plot seemed pointless, and the Pheonix plot would have had more meaning if they had saved Jean at the end. It made the deaths of Proffessor X and Cyclops pointless. Halle Berry was just awful as Storm, I cringed every time she was on screen spouting off the cliched lines they gave her.

Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen were great as always, as was Patrick Stewart in the little time he got. They completely wasted Mystiques character, though I did like Juggernaut, thought Vinnie Jones did a good job with him.

Angel, Colossus and Kitty were pointless, and had no character development. They just acted as though they had always been around, Colossus didnt even speak! Angel only got three scenes, and barely any lines. And Rogue was terribly underused after being such a key player in the first two films.

That said, I did enjoy the action scenes. But the highlight of the film for me was Kelsey Grammer as Beast, I thought he was the perfect choice and the best character in the whole film, Loved how he tried to do a quote during the final battle:D

8. voice_guy

voice_guy Berbill

Pheonix always arises from it's ashes. Jean Grey never stays dead, we never saw Scott die, Xavier's mind was transfered to a new body, and the cure just suppressed the mutant gene, not exterminated it.

I enjoyed the film, next to Spider-Man, X-men has always been a favorite of mine. Yes I had some complaints as well, but no point for me to whine about it. It was nice to see X-Men gold and Blue teams to start to emerge.

9. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

How do you know that though? This is the movie adapation of the Phoenix, not the comic version. They made Jean seem as she was schizo, having two different personalities.

Again, this is the movie adapation LOOSELY based on the comics. Rogue is also suppose to have super strength and fly. Storm is suppose to be claustrophic, and Colossus is suppose to be Russian!

True...BUT we see a headstone, which means they want us to assume he is dead. And unless we get a fourth movie (I hope to GOD they don't make another one), he is presumed dead.

Yes, it was...but he no longer is in his own body, and unless there is a fourth movie, he can't go back into his body. And then they would have to EXPLAIN how he is able to do that...which would just be a huge and utter mess.

So then why call it the cure? Shouldn't they have called it a vaccine instead? There is no cure for AIDS, but there are vaccines that help suppress the disease. I'm pretty sure with all the research and experiments they did with the so called "cure" they would have realized that it was just for a limited time.

I LOVE X-Men. There are NO other comic book characters that I cherish than X-Men and that is why I am so harsh on this movie. Brett Ratner should NEVER touch another comic book franchise ever again. I thought the first X-Men film was a decent introduction and the second one was one of the best comic to film adaptations EVER. And then there is X3...which again isn't bad, but just felt so incomplete in too many ways for me to enjoy it. Beast was awesome -- he was the highlight of the movie -- and there was actual character development on him. The few scenes that Colossus appeared in were pretty cool...just wish they actually acknowledged him more.

As Martin said, Storm's lines were sooo cliche. When she was saying those words, I was picturing Cyclops saying that. And I know Storm was the leader fo the Gold Team, but she is sooo different from the comics it's not even funny.

10. Jaga

Jaga Moleman

There is suppose to be a scene after the credits. Did anyone catch it?

11. matt

matt Thunderian Legend

Yeah I caught the ending after the credits. I was thinking to myself whoah. I dont want to give away to much on the movie here for those that havent seen it. I will say I was pleased to see storm get more action. I thought Kitty pride (shadow cat) did an awesome job especially pulling Jugernaut into the floor. I wasnt pleased on how many main characters were killed or had the serum given to them (that number caught me way off gaurd) I was glad for the scene after the credits. I still like number 1 the best though