Cap'n Cracka's Misc. Merch Collection (non-figure/vehicle/playsets)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by Cap'n Cracka, Sep 7, 2011.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am totally digging those slippers! Do you happen to know if they ever made those ore the kids shoes in blue?

Cap'n Cracka likes this.
  2. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Me too, adssse!! Unfortunately, I do not know. I would imagine they would have had multiple colors but these are the only ones that I have seen. The only other shoe color I know that existed is a "light grey/gold" kids sneaker. That is the item description on one of the shoe boxes that I have. I have never seen it though. I just know it existed. But a lot of stuff was done in blue back then so if I was a betting man, I'd bet on it. Just can't confirm nor deny it at this time.

adssse likes this.
  3. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

hahaha thanks Daremonger but I wouldn't go that far.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

I have absolutely no evidence of this but I believe there are Thundercats slipper socks out there. As well as at least one other slipper but more of a padded slipper out there. The padded slipper I am about 65% positive but the slipper socks, I am about 99% positive on. I just haven't been able to find them.

I am also pretty certain there were yellow rain boots and blue rain boots produced. Same image that is used on the grey ones that I have just different colors. I don't know if there were any other colors other than that but I am close to positive yellow and blue were made. Many "rainy day" sets from the 80's all had the rain coat, rain boots, and umbrella all matching in matching colors. This doesn't mean it was done this way for Thundercats but a blue rain coat and blue umbrella exist (in the collection), a yellow raincoat existed (a collector showed me photos of this YEARS ago), and the grey rain boots exist (in the collection). I may be wrong but it's the hunch I am going on.

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Thundercats gear for any occasion! It's great the vast variety of merchandise that was produced back then. I would have been thrilled to see similar with the 2011. I never thought it received enough promotional merchandise.

Cap'n Cracka likes this.
  6. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

I was hoping for that with the 2011 series as well. If we would have seen a season 2, I am sure there would have been much more random merchandise like that.

adssse likes this.
  7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would hope so. What was to come of the Bandai line looked amazing!

Cap'n Cracka, Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I agree 100%. I am not a fan of the 2011 series, but the toys were quite good as far as quality is concerned. I think that Bandai made two fatal errors:

1. Making toys in two different scales simultaneously. They should have just picked one scale and stuck with it. Either the 4" or the 6", but not both. We could have gotten many more different characters instead of the same ones in different sizes. Same thing with their Classics Line. Why have the same figure in 8 inch and 6 inch scale?

2. Releasing the same figures (with minor changes/features) over and over again. They should have released different figures with each wave. Instead we got around 4 Lion-O's and never got the fantastic Driller that they had planned. Variants should come later, once the main line-up of characters is completed. Not everyone is a die-hard fan and collector so most people will not even understand or notice the variants.

I remember talking to a parent who bought the 4 inch Lion-O for his son when it was released in the first wave. He didn't buy the Lion-O released in the second wave or the Deluxe figure or the 6 inch figure, thinking that they were the same figures that he had bought but had remained unsold. Even kids weren't going crazy for a second Panthro figure with a slightly different face sculpt and different arms.

Cap'n Cracka, adssse and Mark M like this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100%. Bandai really should have just focussed on the basic 4'' figures and made a huge selection of characters from it. Instead of the waste of time magnetic gimmick, the deluxe versions and variants etc.
    Just imagine if we had the basic 4" line of Lion-O, Tygra, Cheetara, Panthro, Wilykit, Wilykay, Snarf, Pumyra, Lynxo, Claudis, Jaga, Grune, Mumm-Ra, Ever Living Mumm-Ra, Slithe, Mutant, Adicus, Kaynar, Vultare, Driller, Tygus, Duelist, Drifter, Auburn, Leo, Panthera and the various Ro-Bear Berbils. That would have been a pretty nice collection of figures.

Cap'n Cracka, adssse and Wilycub like this.
  10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes 100X over!

The different scales really hurt this line. Although as a collector of the line I enjoy them all I would have liked to see them do a 4" modern and 6" Classic line. As you said, variants are for collectors. There are so many characters left undone due to duplication of characters. We see this in many lines and I just don't understand it. Beyond Mumm-ra I don't see a need.

Cap'n Cracka likes this.
  11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Absolutely agree! The magnetic functionality never lived up to the potential and the basic 4" variety was a fun and cost effective design with so many options. My kids and I use the figures with a variety of other lines vehicles and playsets at that size.

Bandai just seemed to get a bit ahead of themselves. They tried to make a bit of everything for everyone instead of focusing on a core market.

Mark M and Cap'n Cracka like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think one big problem though was a lot of the designs on the show of the Tower of Omens etc didn't really translate well as toys. Even Thundertank didn't really work. If it had been more cartoon accurate and larger it could have been an amazing piece but it was just to small with pointless gimmicks.
    Bandai really should have just focussed on the figures and the cartoon should have done a lot of things differently and introduced certain characters sooner and given them more screen time.

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I don't have issue with the size of the Thundertank. It is not cartoon accurate but neither is the original. I just would have liked it to be more durable. The thing falls apart whenever we play with it. y

Cap'n Cracka likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I could have excused the size if it had at least been better constructed and had a fun gimmick. The original whilst also being too small was a fun toy to play with and even worked well when used with toys from other lines like MOTU, TMNT etc.
    The Bandai Thundertank though isn't fun and doesn't compare to other 4'' scale vehicles like the stuff from Star Wars and G.I. Joe.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

My kids and I often use my old Joe vehicles with the 4" Thundercats. While not a perfect fit it works fairly well.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The G.I. Joe Ice Sabre would make a great Thundertank. :D
    http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/04/icesabre/

17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That does look like a good one. I often use the battle wagon as one of the main vehicles.

Mark M likes this.
  18. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

I ended up being quite a big fan of the 2011 series. I thought I was going to hate it to be honest but then I was hooked. That's not to say that I agreed with everything the show did. But overall I highly enjoyed it. Then seeing how many people involved with the show in various different levels really did seem to truly enjoyed working on the show and really wanted it to continue, made me have a new respect for it. I agree, I thought the quality of the toys was pretty good except for the Tower of Omens, Thundertank and Thunder-racers. If they would have poor more into them and actual had them work as intended instead of falling apart constantly, they all could have been great.

I agree 100%. The various scales made absolutely no sense. It was practically Bandai throwing everything at the wall to see what would take. The 6 inch line looked fantastic but was not needed at all. The Deluxe line was probably unavoidable in this day and age but it too wasn't really necessary. Not at first at least. The releasing the same figures over and over was such a bad decision. I understand that as rule of thumb in toy sales, villains generally sell less than heroes. So I did not expect to see many villains but exactly, I didn't need 5 Lion-O's (if you count the one in the Armor of Omens), 3 Tygra's and 3 Panthro's. As far as Thundercat's go, I understand Lion-O is the main character and figure head and receives the most sales but 5 of pretty much the exact same figure it ridiculous. I also believe there was a miscommunication between Bandai and either WB or CN as far as knowledge of the series. Maybe Bandai didn't get all the designs they should have or enough details of future episodes but it seemed like it had knowledge of the first 5 episodes and that was about it. So focused on that and nothing else. Panthro's arms a prime example of this. Shiny metal mechanical arms on the toy but the cartoon never saw anything like this. Kids would just see this as not as what they see on the cartoon and not want it.

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am pretty sure Bandai had knowledge of the whole first season. From my understanding they had regular meetings with the WB team and even for the second season had the storylines and character information.

I don't remember the exact date but was the metal arms Panthro released before it debuted in the cartoon? He was in the second wave of figures, so the first wave matched what the kids saw on tv with his standard arms with the second wave matching how he would look thereafter.

Cap'n Cracka likes this.
  20. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Yeah, I would imagine they did as well and it would only make sense that they did but by the toys they released, you would have no idea they had knowledge of 27 or more episodes. At least in my opinion. Yes, that Panthro was released before it debuted in the cartoon. And yes the first one matched but Panthro never ended up having metal arms like that was featured on the toy. It was definitely way too big of a difference. The figure has more of "Cable from Marvel" feel as opposed to watch they actually looked like in the cartoon. Again at least in my opinion it looked nothing like the cartoon.

Mark M likes this.