Care Bears, Transformers among Toy Hall of Fame finalists

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Wilycub, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Just read up on this article. It's pretty interesting. :) Thank goodness there isn't an official Care Bears/Transformers crossover comic. :P

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Not until someone helms the brand the same way as Transformers etc trying different cartoons, movies, comics and multiple toylines to create a bigger fan base. But hopefully one day.

4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya it would be great if WB made better use of the Thundercats franchise!

mr freeze and Mark M like this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's such a shame. Why acquire something to do nothing with it. It reminds me of a collector buying toys they don't care about but because they are valuable they buy them and store them to prevent other fans from owning them.
    When Disney bought Star Wars and Marvel and Nickelodeon bought TMNT they made use of them and those properties are having the best success now that they have had in a long time.

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes, completely agree. It seems as though ever since WB bought the RB library they have done very little with the various properties while other franchises have at least attempted various incarnations in various forms over the years. Thundercats was every bit as big in the 80s as MOTU, Transformers, GI Joe etc. It is maddening that such a huge corporation with such clout has not done more to invest in a outstanding franchise.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In the mid/late 80's to 91 Thundercats was one of the biggest toy properties in the UK that nearly everyone had toys from. It was easily more popular in the UK than G.I. Joe and other shows. Thundercats were still regularly on TV every week until 91 and some sporadic episodes shown until 94. The toys were still available on toy shelves until 92.
    Some people on here may disagree with this but I think it is safe to say that Thundercats was far more popular in the UK than MOTU.
    One big difference though with Transformers, G.I. Joe, MOTU and Power Rangers is that they are owned by toy companies so they don't have to licence them from someone else like WB.
    The best thing would be for a toy company to purchase Thundercats from WB.
    WB did the reboot series. It had some good points but I think we can all agree it had some faults. But because it wasn't as successful as they wanted they cancelled it and it was dubbed a failure.
    Mattel finally got the licence to make Thundercats then decide to pull the plug before the first figures are even released doing far more damage to the brand.
    TWO cancelled toy lines and a TV series inside 5 years.
    All those other properties like Star Wars, MOTU, Transformers, TMNT, G.I. Joe, MLP, Scooby Doo etc have all had failures but they always came back and tried something new.

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very well said. I really hope there are still people inside WB that believe in Thundercats and will give it another try.

Mark M likes this.
  9. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

I agree with all of this with the exception of G.I.Joe. That property has been in a severe downturn for a couple years now. No new mainstream toys since 2014, no cartoon since Renegades in 2010, which only ran one season, and no plans for a third movie in the works (that I know of). Only thing G.I.Joe in the public eye right now are the IDW comics and the fan club. So Thundercats isn't the only franchise that is suffering right now.

Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

G.. Joe is an odd one. I don't doubt that it will have another revival sooner or later. From around 1990 it has been off and on with some break years in between. The movies were odd. I think the biggest problem is that the idea of an elite anti-terrorist army is the most appealing thing anymore.
    Not releasing any merchandise for the second movie in the UK was not a great desission for the brand.
    Last I heard the third movie was basically going to become M.A.S.K. which I would personally be all for. Also secret agents driving around in fast transforming vehicles is a lot more appealing. :D
    I really hope they can bring G.I. Joe back again with a new movie, cartoon or toys and give it a better direction to appeal more to todays children instead of just adult collectors.
    Renegades was okay but Hasbro didn't even release any toys to support it until after the series ended.

11. grumpykat

grumpykat Active Member

I have no doubt there'll be a third Joe film; it'll all comes down to The Rock having the free time for it, supposedly. As for trying to aim it at today's kids, you might have the parents who'll cry 'propaganda', 'pro-war recruitment', etc... I'm happy as is and just to actually incorporate more of the lore: Serpentor, Cobra-La, more espionage, etc...

At least the property is in a better position than Thundercats or He-Man.

12. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

I was too young to remember, but I bet when the 80s Joe cartoon came out, a lot of parents back then were crying about propaganda and pro-war recruitment then too. To quote a non-famous Simpsons character, "Would someone PLEASE think of the children?!"

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

More Serpentor and Cobra-La...Nooooooooooooo!
    The Rock wasn't great as Roadblock. In fact the casting and writing of all the characters with the exception of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was terrible.

But yes the G.I. Joe property is in a much better position than He-Man and Thundercats. One thing a lot of people don't want to admit is that the characters from those shows are just not relevant anymore and would not work very well today in terms of people relating to them. The awful names like He-Man, Beastman, Vultureman, Raman, Jackalmen really do not help either.

G.I. Joe had those anniversary figures on sale at retail until recently. So at least they are not confined to just selling a small number of toys to a small fan base online. ;)
    The cartoon was very pro America like we are the super power and best in the world and we can defeat anyone.
    The Marvel comics though were very good and highlighted a lot of pro and anti war views and how a lot of those people in G.I. Joe had their reasons for enlisting in the military.