Kinetiquettes Lion-O vs. Mumm-Ra Statue Diorama

Discussion in 'Statues' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Apr 4, 2015.

1. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

The statue is limited to 250 world wide. I don't think they're all that concerned with the common fan being able to afford it. And if they sell them all, that's a quarter of a million bucks.

2. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Fat chance of that happening!! Thundercats fans are very few when compared to other shows like HeMan and Teenage Mutant Turtles. And hardcore fans who would be willing to dish out a thousand bucks on a statue are even even less. They'd be lucky if they even manage to sell 50 of those.

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Considering how much of a niche markets Thundercats is, it's really strange they would make a product that common fans cant afford/wouldn't have much interest in.
    When you add this with the fact it is now allegedly only available to buyers in Asia that limits its appeal even more.
    I also doubt there will be any interest from people wanting to buy these in bulk from Asia to re-sell to buyers in Europe and the U.S.
    I completely agree. I would be very surprised if they managed to sell even 50 at the current price.

4. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

It is a very nice piece and I would have loved to have it in my collection but it is way too expensive especially with the currency being bad. There is no way I would pay that. It is strange that they don't even offer a payment plan. $999 and what will shipping be and then there is customs as well. This is one I will have to pass on.

5. balgus82

Guys. 250. Not 25000, or even 2500. "ThunderCats doesn't have as many fans as so and so" is irrelevant. You can be sure there are 250 people out of the billions and billions on this planet that can afford this and likes ThunderCats.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. balgus82

They do offer a payment plan. $249.75/ month for 4 months.

https://www.kinetiquettes.com/product/liono-vs-mummra-diorama/

7. balgus82

I think I can confirm the Southeast Asia limitation. If you put the statue in your cart and put the US as your shipping address it says ""Lion-O V.S Mumm-Ra - 1/5 scale diorama" cannot be shipped to to the United States (US)"

8. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

Okay I did see that after checking. I also tried and says can't ship to South Africa. I am not sure if they will be able to sell close to 250. If it is only available in that region. Maybe they are lucky.

9. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Not in Southeast Asia there are not. ;) Let's face it, even if a person is a Thundercats fan and can afford to dish out $1000 for a statue, does not mean that they will. You are assuming that anyone who can, will. Only the obsessive compulsive collectors feel the need to buy everything TC related just because it is TC. Many collectors are selective and choose what they want to collect. It's no secret that TC statues in general have not been popular items. They don't fly off the shelves.

There's also the storage issue. Finding a place to display these huge statues is a challenge in itself.

adssse, Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I will be quite surprised if this gets enough pre-orders to even go into production.
    That's not meant in any disrespect towards the skill of the artists that created it.
    I just really don't think there is a market for more Thundercats statues.

Wilycub likes this.
  11. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

I tried to buy one of these statues (I live in the US). I posted in two spots on their FB page and got a shady response to email a random email address. So out of curiosity, I did. The person on the other end asked me to send $350 as a deposit + a 5% Paypal fee and to expect shipping to be in the $200+ range. So, needless to say, I did not pursue that any further. It really is a beautiful piece and I would love to have one (even at that incredibly high price). It's a shame that it's not available in the US. Even if the guy on the other end was legit (which is a coin flip), I'm not sending almost $400 to a random guy in hopes that it is. Oh well...my bank account is thankful, at least.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard and Wilycub like this.
  12. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Though I kinda like the statue, this is an easy pass (assuming I would be able to get it in The Netherlands). I'm not fond of the design choices made regarding the characters and it doesnt really feel like ThunderCats to me. I dunno, I'm not the target for these types of things. And for $1000+? I'd rather have vintage items. Or $1000 :)

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You can buy/pre-order it from Big Bad Toy Store in the US. Although they require a $300 payment upfront.
    I suppose this will help them sell more than it just being available in Asia.

14. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

They're asking $1,200 at BBTS. As cool as the statue is, I think for $1,200, I'd have to pass. At $1,000, I was already past my comfort zone. Throw in another $200 and the fact that I've had issues with BBTS before (they're not collector friendly and their customer service is, for lack of a better word, crap). Oh well, at least this makes my wife happy, haha.

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have no interest in statues. Oddly enough I have never bought anything from BBTS.

16. dan07

dan07 Glass Walker

I used to have a standing account with them. I've purchased a fair amount of stuff from them in the past 5 years. But every time I've had an issue, their team was not very helpful (but they were snarky). TBH, I'm happy to skip this one, as I do not want to support BBTS. I don't believe in doing business with companies with poor customer service.

17. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

People with pre orders have been emailed that this has been cancelled.

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I read on Facebook the statue is cancelled as their wasn't enough pre-orders. Some contractual thing with WB included that it could only be sold and marketed in Asia.

19. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I was actually looking forward to the diorama's official release even though it hardly resembled ThunderCats.

20. Sir Greek

Sir Greek Junior Member

I liked the idea but did not care for the interpretation.